Ed Price

Default NiCAD Memory Effect

No, the research was done using single cells, not multi-cell packs. And they
didn't discharge them to "flat", but rather stopped at something like 5%
capacity. They wanted a "deep" cycle, but not a deadly cycle.

Ed
wb6wsn

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
They may have done the other BAD thing --- over-discharging.
When you run an NiCD pack DEAD flat, the weakest cell gets
reverse polarized, and that's death to that cell. One dead
cell means the pack is kaput.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Ed Price" wrote in message

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
Because you leave them on simple trickle chargers long term, which

causes
little
whisker crystals called dendrites to form inside the battery and short

it
out internally. I get a heck of a lot of recharge cycles out my

rechargeables.
I use smart chargers that just about shutdown (go way below "trickle")

when
the battery is charged.

--
Chuck Tribolet

I believe that, as the crystalline area grows, it obscures the usable

plate
area, which is what causes the "memory" effect. I read some recent

research
(which I now can't find) where new cells were put through a careful

charge
and then a deep discharge cycle. Then, the cells were deliberately
overcharged. Instant loss of capacity; the "memory" effect instantly
duplicated. OTOH, another group of new cells were put through many

shallow
discharge cycles, with careful recharging. Result, no memory effect.

Then,
with one overcharge cycle, the memory effect was now there.

Seems to confirm the concept of "memory", it's just that the culprit is

the
charge profile, not the discharge portion. And that means that dumb
"trickle" chargers are really cell killers; we need to use smart

chargers
exclusively.

I wonder if NiMH chemistry shows the same effect?

Ed
wb6wsn

want to get USB flash memory serial number Heba Electronics 3 March 5th 04 06:28 AM
Memory problems Hans Electronics 16 February 23rd 04 03:43 PM
ICOM M11 delete memory channels? Scott Downey General 4 February 18th 04 12:29 AM
garmin 176 memory chip jake Electronics 3 January 3rd 04 04:05 PM
Coincidence or Cause and Effect? Jim Irvine General 1 November 29th 03 10:16 PM