jake

Default garmin 176 memory chip

Does anyone know how I can download the map on my memory chip to save
it to my laptop, so I can load another map. Then when I'm finished with
the second map i can replace it with the one that I downloaded.

Chuck Tribolet

I don't think you can. Yes, there's an option in MapSource to download
maps from the GPS, but that just downloads a list of the names
of the maps, not their contents.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"jake" wrote in message news
Does anyone know how I can download the map on my memory chip to save
it to my laptop, so I can load another map. Then when I'm finished with
the second map i can replace it with the one that I downloaded.

Peter Bennett

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:08:35 GMT, jake wrote:

Does anyone know how I can download the map on my memory chip to save
it to my laptop, so I can load another map. Then when I'm finished with
the second map i can replace it with the one that I downloaded.

So far as I know, the only maps you can upload to a Garmin GPS are
those provided by Garmin - and you use a program provided by Garmin to
do the uploading. There is apparently no need or provision to
download a map from the GPS to the PC, since the maps should have come
from the PC in the first place (except for the basemap, which you
can't change).

You may find other information in the news:sci.geo.satellite-nav
newsgroup, where lots of GPS users hang out.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
Chuck Tribolet

I think he was talking about a Garmin pre-loaded chip.
You CAN overwrite them with Garmin MapSource, but that
destroys the original map unrecoverably.