Hans

Default Memory problems

I have two computers on both Win XP PRO

a- Pentium 4 2.6 GHZ. 1024 MB Ram memory

b- Pentium 3 790 MHZ..352 MB Ram memory

I have a navigation program Maxsea 9.1.1.4 , when I try to load this program
on comp. "A " I get the message insufficient memory.

I can load without problems the program on the older computer "B" with so
much less memory

I can't find what the problem is any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Frank

Jim

Frank,

I'm not familiar with 'Maxsea', but don't think that's the problem
anyway. As far as I'm concerned, MS never did get a grip on memory
management, but that's another story. :^)

You might want to try this: First thing, note how many icons are in
your system tray (the one on the far right). If you see icons for
programs you don't need running, you want to get rid of these. For
example, if you've instaled Realplayer, it will start a process
every time your computer comes up. You don't need to have this
process running on your system 'at all times'. Realplayer will still
work fine. So what if it takes an extra second to start up when you
want to play a media file. In that case, you can right click on the
icon and get into the preferences and have it NOT load on system
startup. If you only click exit, it will still load on the next
startup/reboot. If you have CD burning software, chances are, when you
installed it, several more processes were added. Especially if you've
installed something like Roxio.

To clean things up that you can't turn off in the system tray and have
them stay off, next try this:

Click on 'start', then 'run' and then type 'msconfig' and hit enter.
In the box that comes up, choose the 'startup' tab at the far right.
Oh, before I go further, unless you're comfortable with what is in the
other tabs, DON'T EVEN THINK about changing aything in them. :^)

Now, look at the list and uncheck anything that you don't feel you
need running all the time. Leave stuff in there if you do want running
at all times. Examples are any programs/processes associated with you
virus protection as well as any programs/processes associated with a
software firewall, if you're running one. After fininshing, click on
'apply'. You will next be prompted to reboot for the changes to go
into effect. If you're ready to try this, go ahead and reboot. Note,
when the system reboots, a diaog box pops up stating that you are
running 'selective startup' (if memory serves me). Just check the box
to not show you the message again. You already know you made changes.
:^)

I hope this helps! I strongly suspect this will get you going with
Maxsea. Please post a reply either way.

-Jim

Hans wrote:
I have two computers on both Win XP PRO

a- Pentium 4 2.6 GHZ. 1024 MB Ram memory

b- Pentium 3 790 MHZ..352 MB Ram memory

I have a navigation program Maxsea 9.1.1.4 , when I try to load this program
on comp. "A " I get the message insufficient memory.

I can load without problems the program on the older computer "B" with so
much less memory

I can't find what the problem is any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Frank

Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:43:32 GMT, Jim
wrote:

Click on 'start', then 'run' and then type 'msconfig' and hit enter.
In the box that comes up, choose the 'startup' tab at the far right.
Oh, before I go further, unless you're comfortable with what is in the
other tabs, DON'T EVEN THINK about changing aything in them. :^)

I'd like to double this statement from Jim. If you don't know EXACTLY
what anything on the list does, DON'T DELETE it! You could trash the
O/S and it's I/O functions good.

I assume this thing has also been on the internet at some point. If
so, put it back on the net and download AdAware 6 from www.lavasoft.de
for free. Install and run it. The record is 112 spywares
simultaneously running hidden in background on a friend's computer,
here. There was so much spyware running it slowed down his 2Ghz
system and hogged LOTS of memory. When it was OFFLINE, the spyware
stored his keystroking in memory and he was running out of space.
AdAware will reliably uninstall and delete all this nonsense, which
made his computer a real powerhouse!

If you are someone who is operating system savvy, I also recommend
Spybot Advanced, which is free. Be informed it will find EVERYTHING
that has your personal stuff stored in it. DO NOT DELETE EVERYTHING
IT FINDS OR THE COMPUTER WON'T RUN! Spybot should not be run by the
average appliance operator for this reason. Spybot comes from:
http://security.kolla.de/

Larry

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....
Hans

Thank you all so much for your assistance .

I had a look at the residence programs and I could unload some small
starting up programs like Chameleon clock and Acrobat assistance.

I have Ad-Aware running for over a year.

I had a look at the Virtual Memory.

In the old computer I have disk space available 32503 MB, Virtual initial
size 528MB, Max size 1056 MB

On the new computer free disk space 33556MB, Virtual initial size 1536MB
and max size3072 MB

Looking at the above , what shall I do still enlarge the virtual memo??

Comparing the two the new computer looks so much better and still??

I could do msconfig and start up in diagnostic startup and try to run the
Maxsea program??

wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 05:41:33 GMT, "Hans" wrote:

I have two computers on both Win XP PRO

a- Pentium 4 2.6 GHZ. 1024 MB Ram memory

b- Pentium 3 790 MHZ..352 MB Ram memory

I have a navigation program Maxsea 9.1.1.4 , when I try to load this

program
on comp. "A " I get the message insufficient memory.

I can load without problems the program on the older computer "B" with so
much less memory

I can't find what the problem is any help will be appreciated.

Out of memory errors are seldom caused by the amount of RAM you have.
They are almost always caused because either the virtual memory has
been limited too much, or else there is not enough room on the hard
drive for enough virtual memory space.

A corrupt executable "can" sometimes cause out of memory errors, but
it's not very common. When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses before
looking for zebras...

right click on "my computer" - properties - advanced -preformance
settings. select the advanced tab, and at the bottom select the
"change" button.

It will tell you how much space is available, and what the current
settings are. If you have space available, increase both the Initial
size and the maximum size substantially. click the "set button after
making the changes, and then reboot and try your program again.

BB

Jim

I don't know what you're saying here. Are you saying you unchecked
boxes for applications running at startup, and tried the Maxsea without
rebooting? If so, then yeah, I wouldn't expect a difference. MSCONFIG
does NOT affect the running system. You need to reboot to make those
changes go into effect. Sorry, I thought I was pretty clear on that.
i.e. turn off what you don't NEED, reboot, and then try your Maxsea
program.

If by diagnostic mode you mean 'safe mode', that was NOT suggested.
Safe mode is good when you installed a driver that conflicts with your
system so bad it won't even boot. Then you can go into safe mode to
uninstall the program or delete the device drivers.

-Jim

Hans wrote:
I had the msconfig open and did a startup in diagnostic mode try to run the
program no sucsess still the same message

Hans

I did a reboot in diagnostic mode so without any resident programs running
and tried to start Maxsea no success.

After that I removed the programs I don't need to start up and did a reboot
same no success

Hans wrote:
I had the msconfig open and did a startup in diagnostic mode try to run

the
program no sucsess still the same message

Dennis Pogson

Snip

Hans wrote:
I had the msconfig open and did a startup in diagnostic mode try to
run the program no sucsess still the same message

Maxsea is a pretty old programme, and Win XP wasn't invented when Maxsea was
created.

I think the incompatiblity is with your OS, since you seem to have ample
memory and disk space
plus a P4 processor.

I can run Maxsea on Win98 on a P2 laptop no bother, so it must be the way
Win XP allocates memory, i.e. a coding conflict within XP and Maxsea.

Is this the latest version of Maxsea?

Dennis.

Remove "nospam" from return address.

Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:46:05 -0500, Joe Wood
wrote:

698 on a Win98 machine that two teenagers had used to download music.

Joe Wood

Teach the teenagers to download from Usenet's
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.(genre here) and that won't happen. I have
17M files...(c;

Why anyone would use Kaaza or webpages mystifies me....

When they're bored with that, look in alt.binaries.movies.divx.....(c;