Steve

Default Pactor IIe terminal software?

I now have my ssb and Pactor IIe all hooked up and when I went to install
the terminal software (PlusTerm ), I found that it was DOS version and won't
run on my Win2k OS..

I contacted SCS and ask for a recommendation and they agreed that I should
get a Windows Terminal program. However they didn't recommend any..

I'm not sure of what will be the best and simplest for me.. I'm not a ham
yet and typically any of this stuff, is written for and by hams. At the risk
of offending our resident Hams, let's just say the ones I have looked at are
complex to the extreme. (Lotta stuff for contests, etc.) Much like ham
transievers, more complicated that necessary to send and recieve email.

The one program that seems to be promoted on one of the Pactor sites is
EasyTerm for Windows. The info and representations would indicate it has
complex features, but I'm wondering if it might still be the best..

I can't tell from what I read if it can also be used to control the
transciever as well as the Pactor modem. My new Icom 710mkII has that
capability so would like to find a combine program if possible.

What are the rest of the "I Just Wanna Do Email and Weather" skippers
using??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Doug Dotson

Sounds like you should use Airmail. Go to www.airmail2000.com
and download it.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Chuck Baier

Airmail requires a Ham License and it doesn't sound like Steve is a
Ham. Sailmail is a pay service that will allow you to email and
receive weather. They will assist you in setting up the program, etc.
I personally have not used it but know others that have and been
satisfied. Most of these programs and set ups are very similar.

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Glenn Ashmore

I think they both use the same software.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Doug Dotson

AirMail is a software package that can be used by anyone. The
services are Winlink (for hams) and Sailmail (for $$). Both use
Airmail as the controlling program and the user interface..

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

om...

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Mark Reichow

Steve, That PacTerm software is provided by SCS to allow new users to
get online with something when they first receive their TNC. It works
but it's a crude interface for a bunch of features available with the
SCS TNC's. Most you'll never use. Don't even install it. Toss it.
If you are using Airmail for e-mail (which you obviously DON'T need to
be a ham to use), and any good WeFax program like JVComm, etc., you're
good to go.

Mark
S/V Shooting Star
Mark Reichow

Steve, You can completely control the freqs on your radio with the
Airmail program using an OPC-478 cable from Icom (or a clone of it), a
$3 stereo to mono adapter from Radio Shack, and a USB to serial
adapter to get another serial port. Icom now makes a OPC-478U that is
a direct USB pug-in, bypassing the serial port. The Airmail program
covers all this for the Icom 706 in their help section.

Mark
S/V Shooting Star
Dennis Gibbons

Steve,
Just a reminder of what I said when I sold you the unit. You don't need to
program anything with the software. Just download and install Sailmail. It
has it's own terminal emulation program imbedded in it. Don't reinvent the
wheel.

--
Dennis Gibbons
dkgibbons at optonline dot net