roger beniot

Default GPS & GPS Software

I'm considering buying a garmin gpsmap 76CS
(http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76cs) for a variety of
activities. I thought I remembered a sales person describing how he
know someone that was going boating and generating a
set of waypoints or tracks. When they got home they were able to
download that info from the GPS unit onto their home computer and
import the info into some GPS software that would create a map of the
route they took. I searched the newsgroups for a message describing
this but was unable to find anything.

I contacted a couple local (seattle/bellevue) shops (boaters world,
west marine and REI) trying to find out if such software exists, but
each told me that you can only download waypoints and maps to this
unit (and most other units).

So does anyone know if software like this exists...?

Thanks in advance,
roger
Dennis Pogson

roger beniot wrote:
[...]

There are only about 101 suppliers of chart software, try a Google and
you'll be amazed! Try www.oziexplorer.com first, it's the best!

Dennis.
Remove "nospam" from return address.

Bruce in Alaska

(
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76cs) for a variety of
activities. I thought I remembered a sales person describing how he
know someone that was going boating and generating a
set of waypoints or tracks. When they got home they were able to
download that info from the GPS unit onto their home computer and
import the info into some GPS software that would create a map of the
route they took. I searched the newsgroups for a message describing
this but was unable to find anything.

I contacted a couple local (seattle/bellevue) shops (boaters world,
west marine and REI) trying to find out if such software exists, but
each told me that you can only download waypoints and maps to this
unit (and most other units).

So does anyone know if software like this exists...?

Thanks in advance,
roger

There are a bunch of programs that will display Track Logs and
Waypoints on NOAA charts, and or USGS Topo's. Topo which is the
same as the National Geographics Program does this really well
for land use. OziExplorer and MaxSea work well for Nautical stuff.
Since I run mainly Mac Computers I use GPSy and MacGPS, as well as
MaxSea for Mac.

You need to find a competant Computer/Gps Nerd, and not ask the
SalesDroids that work the counters of REI and Gordie's joint.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Ed

For garmin, use the blue chart software. It comes for free with your
first chart that you download. (I suggest this method over buying the
chips with the software BURNED on) You can download routes, waypoints
and tracks. I have three Garmin units and sync up all the waypoints. I
save tracks for years and when I plan a return trip to a place, I upload
the old tracks so I can see where I went in previous years.

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article ,
(roger beniot) wrote:

[...]

Dennis Pogson

Rick wrote:
That is crap. If you have the correct cable NEMA???? you should bed
able to put it onto your PC

Without software? Please don't mislead the questioner. An NMEA cable,
whatever that is, is only the link between 2 devices. If you don't regularly
use this technology, leave the advice to people who do!

roger beniot wrote:

[...]

Gerald Simons

From my understanding a # of programs should be able to do that. I've
got a Garmin 45 and I do the same thing with NavPak Pro
http://www.globenav.com/
Regards Gerald

roger beniot wrote:

[...]

Peter Bennett

On 24 Apr 2004 07:40:46 -0700, (roger beniot)
wrote:

I'm considering buying a garmin gpsmap 76CS
(
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76cs) for a variety of
activities. I thought I remembered a sales person describing how he
know someone that was going boating and generating a
set of waypoints or tracks. When they got home they were able to
download that info from the GPS unit onto their home computer and
import the info into some GPS software that would create a map of the
route they took. I searched the newsgroups for a message describing
this but was unable to find anything.

Have a look around my GPS site (listed below) and
http://www.gpsinformation.net for several third-party programs that
will transfer data between a PC and various makes of GPS receiver.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Rodney Myrvaagnes

From my understanding a # of programs should be able to do that. I've

Rick wrote:
That is crap. If you have the correct cable NEMA???? you should bed
able to put it onto your PC

Without software? Please don't mislead the questioner. An NMEA cable,
whatever that is, is only the link between 2 devices. If you don't regularly
use this technology, leave the advice to people who do!

Any test modem program, or other text input program that can be piped
from the serial port, like Winmodem, will accept NMEA data if the bps
and parity is set correctly.

I had a computer logging both GPS and loran for several years. The
messages are human readable.

You don't need special software.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opinionated old geezer

Brutal dictators are routinely reelected by 90+%
margins. Only in a truly advanced democracy can
one win an election by a negative 600,000 votes.
Dennis Pogson

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
On 25 Apr 2004 12:28:12 -0700, (Gerald
Simons) wrote:

From my understanding a # of programs should be able to do that.
I've

Rick wrote:
That is crap. If you have the correct cable NEMA???? you should
bed able to put it onto your PC

Without software? Please don't mislead the questioner. An NMEA
cable, whatever that is, is only the link between 2 devices. If you
don't regularly use this technology, leave the advice to people who
do!

Any test modem program, or other text input program that can be piped
from the serial port, like Winmodem, will accept NMEA data if the bps
and parity is set correctly.

I had a computer logging both GPS and loran for several years. The
messages are human readable.

You don't need special software.

The fact that the sentences are "human readable" does not mean that the
reader can interpret them. My understanding is that the poster wants to
create tracks and routes, not just read the NMEA sentences. Most GPS
programs will interpret the information and map out the tracks etc. in a few
seconds.

--
Remove "nospam" from return address.