Dennis Pogson

Default GPS & GPS Software

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
On 25 Apr 2004 12:28:12 -0700, (Gerald
Simons) wrote:

From my understanding a # of programs should be able to do that.
I've
got a Garmin 45 and I do the same thing with NavPak Pro
http://www.globenav.com/
Regards Gerald

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
Rick wrote:
That is crap. If you have the correct cable NEMA???? you should
bed able to put it onto your PC

Without software? Please don't mislead the questioner. An NMEA
cable, whatever that is, is only the link between 2 devices. If you
don't regularly use this technology, leave the advice to people who
do!

Any test modem program, or other text input program that can be piped
from the serial port, like Winmodem, will accept NMEA data if the bps
and parity is set correctly.

I had a computer logging both GPS and loran for several years. The
messages are human readable.

You don't need special software.

The fact that the sentences are "human readable" does not mean that the
reader can interpret them. My understanding is that the poster wants to
create tracks and routes, not just read the NMEA sentences. Most GPS
programs will interpret the information and map out the tracks etc. in a few
seconds.

--
Remove "nospam" from return address.