Andrew S

Default Lowrance - X-85 depth finder malfuntioning - HELP !

Ian,

that's alright.....if you still have any further questions, please do not
hesitate to ask.

Andrew
"ian whitcombe" wrote in message
om...
SNIP

Thanks Rich. Just one more stupid :-) question. When you say the belly
of the transducer pointing downwards what exactly do you mean ?

I've shown my (extremely) crude drawing skills at the following link.
Would you mind telling me which is the correct setting for the
transducer ?

http://www.gothamvillage.co.uk/transducer.gif

Many thanks

Ian.

ian,

out of respect, read the manual, especially pages 9-13. the online

version
is at http://www.lowrance.com/Manuals/Files/X7585_91201.pdf if you don't
have one available. Lowrance describes the installation in detail with
fairly simple to understand instructions and photos. Your installation
should look like the photos on page 12

regards

andrew

Thanks for the tip Andrew. I didn't know you could get the manuals
online so that's really helpful. I apologise if I've wasted anyone's
time. I really appreciate the help you have all given me.

Cheers

Ian.

Larry W4CSC

"Rich Pierro" wrote in
:

I go about 15" or 18" to one side of center on my boat, approximately.
As long as it's in a place that remains submerged all the time and
the seem is level with the bottom of the hull. Yes that does mean the
belly of the unit is below the hull, I promise you won't feel it in
the performance of the boat.

Rich P

When I first bought the 16' Sea Rayder 175hp jetboat, I mounted a transom
transducer for my sonar just to port of the jet so it would be down in the
water. Jetboats don't have a rudder, as you may have noticed. That
transducer bubble hanging down into the water PULLED THE BOAT TO PORT
something awful! I couldn't believe how much effect it had on the trim!

I solved the problem by epoxying the thru-the-hull button transducer into
the bilge just forward of the jet pump intake. It read much better
through-the-hull, too, than it ever did on the transom mount in all that
turbulence going 50.

Larry W4CSC
ian whitcombe

Larry W4CSC wrote in message ...
"Rich Pierro" wrote in
:

[...]

And now the embarrassing conclusion to this sorry tale.....

I've finally identified why the readings kept coming and going. The
transducer kept falling off !

It's attached using one of those dodgy sucker things and it doesn't
stick to the anti-foul properly. Consequently after a while it would
fall off. When the water twisted it as I went along it sometimes
pointed down and sometimes not. Hence it worked sometimes and
sometimes not. I've now screwed it to the transom in the manner
described by everyone who replied to my original message and it works
perfectly. I even caught my first fish last weekend ! (2 oz chub not
really what I'm after but there you go).

So many thanks to you all for your help and suggestions. I think I'll
go and have a lie down now.......

Cheers

Ian

Eagle Depth Finder Transducer Problems Fred Reyes General 5 June 23rd 04 11:49 PM
Humminbird 300TX fish finder, depth finder Opinion survey please. Joe Boater Electronics 1 December 31st 03 07:52 PM
Depth finder J K General 0 December 6th 03 04:40 PM
Replacing Lowrance depth finder butch burton General 5 October 16th 03 09:59 AM
Depth Finder - Two questions Gary Warner Boat Building 3 July 8th 03 12:01 AM