Derek Rowell

Default Raymarine Rudder Position Sensor

Does anybody know what's inside the Raymarine rudder position sensor for the
ST4000+ autopilot? Is it just a potentiometer with an analog output
voltage? or a synchro? or something else? I don't think it could be a
rotary encoder since it does not need zeroing.
At $285 list it seems a tad expensive, and I'd like to try building my own.
That's more than 1/3 of what I paid for the autopilot.
If it is basically a pot, I'd buffer it with an op-amp with adjustable gain
and offset. If the output is digital - forget it!

Jeff Morris

"Derek Rowell" wrote in message
If it is basically a pot, I'd buffer it with an op-amp with adjustable gain
and offset. If the output is digital - forget it!

Don't wimp out! Hook a Linux box up to it!

Steve

It's a 5k ohm pot with the sensor arm on the wiper.. It's anolog but I don't
know how the control unit deals with that..

I have been trying to get one on ebay.. They show up about once every week
or so and end up going for about $150 each.. The ones I have seen were new
or factory refurbished.

Your ST4000 will work without it, according to what I read in my ST5000
manual. You just have to note the absense in your configuration routine.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Doug Dotson

It will work without it but it will work alot better with it. My old
Benmar CourseSetter autopilot didn't have a rudder position
sensor or any provision for one. They are now out of business.
Will Hamm of WH Autopilots said to me, "Now you know
why they are out of business". Rudder position feedback is
essential for a quality autopilot control. Spend the money, it
is worth it. Buy a cheaper galley stove instead.

Doug
s/v Callista