Derek Rowell

Default Raymarine Rudder Position Sensor

Does anybody know what's inside the Raymarine rudder position sensor for the
ST4000+ autopilot? Is it just a potentiometer with an analog output
voltage? or a synchro? or something else? I don't think it could be a
rotary encoder since it does not need zeroing.
At $285 list it seems a tad expensive, and I'd like to try building my own.
That's more than 1/3 of what I paid for the autopilot.
If it is basically a pot, I'd buffer it with an op-amp with adjustable gain
and offset. If the output is digital - forget it!