Adam

Default SSB grounding system

I'm building GRP 37' sail boat (Spray by Bruce Roberts) and this year I'm
going to install, sole, cabinets etc.
I have been told that it is perfect time to install SSB grounding system,
using copper foil as a inner liner bellow the sole line.
Could you tell me what exactly supposed to be done, or where I can find
practical information about this project.
Thanks in advance
Adam

Bruce in Alaska

In article , "Adam"
wrote:

I'm building GRP 37' sail boat (Spray by Bruce Roberts) and this year I'm
going to install, sole, cabinets etc.
I have been told that it is perfect time to install SSB grounding system,
using copper foil as a inner liner bellow the sole line.
Could you tell me what exactly supposed to be done, or where I can find
practical information about this project.
Thanks in advance
Adam

Google search is your friend, Sir. Do a search on this group
with you post title, and you will get volumes of ideas on how
to accomplish the required installation. I guess Gary and I
should really do a FAQ on this, and post it, but Hmmmmmm.
It has been discussed to death many times over the last 4
or 5 years.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Larry W4CSC

Run a copper strap from the tuner grounding post to the engine block.
Ground out the rigging to it to keep lightning from blowing holes in
the hull if you get hit, too!

You asked for "practical information". This is practical.

If you got lead ballast in the keel, that makes a great SSB grounding
plate, too. It doesn't have to be exposed to seawater, just near it.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:14:54 -0500, "Adam" wrote:

I'm building GRP 37' sail boat (Spray by Bruce Roberts) and this year I'm
going to install, sole, cabinets etc.
I have been told that it is perfect time to install SSB grounding system,
using copper foil as a inner liner bellow the sole line.
Could you tell me what exactly supposed to be done, or where I can find
practical information about this project.
Thanks in advance
Adam

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....
evans

Last year I had my boat professionally setup with copper foil for use
with a ICOM HF radio with a backstay antenna & auto tuner.

I can tell you that they pulled up my floorboards and caulked the foil
to the hull. As I recall, the foil was then connected to a 3/16 inch
ground wire. Where it went after that I would have to check. I know it
goes to the back of the radio, but I would have to trace out where
else possibliy.

Word of advice. Use the copper foil. My brother in law almost sunk his
boat using one of those copper plates that bolt thru the hull, due to
electrolysis problems.

You can contact me if you wish at

Kip

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:14:54 -0500, "Adam" wrote:

I'm building GRP 37' sail boat (Spray by Bruce Roberts) and this year I'm
going to install, sole, cabinets etc.
I have been told that it is perfect time to install SSB grounding system,
using copper foil as a inner liner bellow the sole line.
Could you tell me what exactly supposed to be done, or where I can find
practical information about this project.
Thanks in advance
Adam

Terry Spragg

evans wrote:

Last year I had my boat professionally setup with copper foil for use
with a ICOM HF radio with a backstay antenna & auto tuner.

I can tell you that they pulled up my floorboards and caulked the foil
to the hull. As I recall, the foil was then connected to a 3/16 inch
ground wire. Where it went after that I would have to check. I know it
goes to the back of the radio, but I would have to trace out where
else possibliy.

Word of advice. Use the copper foil. My brother in law almost sunk his
boat using one of those copper plates that bolt thru the hull, due to
electrolysis problems.

You can contact me if you wish at

Kip

Can you say that there was an improvement in tx or rx performance?
Was the improvement worth the expense and bother?
What was the arrangement before the work?
What other schemes had you attempted?
What drove you to this extent?
What did it cost?

Thank you.

Terry K

Dennis Gibbons

I agree.
The old "100 sq foot" rule is overkill with today's modern tuners. I ran
foil to my internal ballast and never have had any problems being heard.
Start with little or no counterpoise and only ad more if you can't transmit.
Also, don't test in some crowded NE harbor. I could never get out from
Milford, but from Block Island I was loud and clear.

--
Dennis Gibbons
dkgibbons at optonline dot net
"Terry Spragg" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
evans wrote:

[...]

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Dennis Gibbons" wrote:

The old "100 sq foot" rule is overkill with today's modern tuners.

Why would the Laws of Physic's change with "today's modern tuners"?
One needs the same amount of surface area, to couple RF into the
water, for an effective ground, today, as 20, 30, or 40 years ago.
The ONLY thing that autotuners have brought to the Marine MF/HF Radio
system, is the ability for a non-Tech type to install the system,
without having to know how to tuneup the antenna. They haven't
changed ANYTHING else, like design and implimentation of an Effective RF
Ground System, and actually autotuners aren't as good at providing
a good tune for any specific frequency, as an old style channelized
tuner that is Tech-tuned for a specific frequency.

Just notes for thought.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @