Dennis Gibbons

Default SSB grounding system

I agree.
The old "100 sq foot" rule is overkill with today's modern tuners. I ran
foil to my internal ballast and never have had any problems being heard.
Start with little or no counterpoise and only ad more if you can't transmit.
Also, don't test in some crowded NE harbor. I could never get out from
Milford, but from Block Island I was loud and clear.

--
Dennis Gibbons
dkgibbons at optonline dot net
"Terry Spragg" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
evans wrote:

Last year I had my boat professionally setup with copper foil for use
with a ICOM HF radio with a backstay antenna & auto tuner.

I can tell you that they pulled up my floorboards and caulked the foil
to the hull. As I recall, the foil was then connected to a 3/16 inch
ground wire. Where it went after that I would have to check. I know it
goes to the back of the radio, but I would have to trace out where
else possibliy.

Word of advice. Use the copper foil. My brother in law almost sunk his
boat using one of those copper plates that bolt thru the hull, due to
electrolysis problems.

You can contact me if you wish at

Kip

Can you say that there was an improvement in tx or rx performance?
Was the improvement worth the expense and bother?
What was the arrangement before the work?
What other schemes had you attempted?
What drove you to this extent?
What did it cost?

Thank you.