Ric

Default Raymarine ST4000MK1 fluxgate compass >> Furuno 1622 radar

Like Steve below, I need to get HDM into my Furuno radar. Can I take this
direct from my fluxgate compass? Does anybody know if the Rayamrin fluxgate
compass output their data in raw NMEA, or is it an analogue signal which is
then interepreted into NMEA by the Autohelm?

Steve

"Ric" wrote in message
Like Steve below, I need to get HDM into my Furuno radar. Can I take this
direct from my fluxgate compass? Does anybody know if the Rayamrin

fluxgate
compass output their data in raw NMEA, or is it an analogue signal which

is
then interepreted into NMEA by the Autohelm?

The flux compass sensor output is not NMEA. It is unique to flux compasses
sensors. Autohelm doesn't say what the designation of each signal wire is.
(just "match the wire color to the color of the connector spade'' or words
to that effect.)

However, for future reference, my SiTex manual provides the following signal
designation:

1. 90 deg Signal (pulse)
2. 0 deg Signal (pulse)
3. S1 Signal (pulse)
4. S2 Signal (pulse)
5. Bearing Signal
6. Power (+B)
7. Power (GND)

If you want the magnetic flux compass heading, you should be able to get
that off the ST buss by converting it back to NMEA (Z137 interface). But the
cost of doing that will be as much as a cheap Flux Gate compass.

Obviously I don't know about which I speak, since I still haven't resolved
my own problems.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:40:02 +0100, "Ric" wrote:

Like Steve below, I need to get HDM into my Furuno radar. Can I take this
direct from my fluxgate compass? Does anybody know if the Rayamrin fluxgate
compass output their data in raw NMEA, or is it an analogue signal which is
then interepreted into NMEA by the Autohelm?

It is on the boat, but my memory is that the fluxgate is permanently
cabled to the control head of the autohelm, which itself outputs the
signals an sea-talk and/or nmea.

The head itself acts as a compass display even when the autopilot is
not in use.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Be careful. The toe you stepped on yesterday may be connected to the ass you have to kiss today." --Former mayor Ciancia
Wout Beekhuizen

"Ric" wrote in message
Like Steve below, I need to get HDM into my Furuno radar. Can I take this
direct from my fluxgate compass? Does anybody know if the Rayamrin

fluxgate
compass output their data in raw NMEA, or is it an analogue signal which

is
then interepreted into NMEA by the Autohelm?

Hi,
You may find some useful info he
http://brookhouseonline.com/NMEA%20c...20diagrams.htm
Cheers,