Meindert Sprang

Default Flux Compass input to radar (Update)

"Steve" wrote in message
Isn't NMEA 0183 going to be the same for both the GPS and the Flux Gate..

I have the Serial port set at 4800, 8 bit, no parity and one stop bit.

That
works fine with any of the three GPS I have available..

I leave these setting and connect the port to the Flux Gate Compass and

get
nothing.. In the absence of info otherwise, I would have to assume that

it's
output would be this standard output for NMEA 0183..

It appears (or I haven't found) any control over these out put setting

from
the Flux Compass. The only NMEA 0183 info in the manual has to do with the
two data lines on the DIN connector: SIGNAL and RETURN Data Output.

In the specifications it states: DATA OUTPUT-- NMEA 0183: HCHDM(heading),
HCBOD(course), HCXTR(deviation).

Still wondering ??

Chances are that the output of the fluxgate IS NMEA, but the voltage level
is incorrect. The GPS has an RS-232 output but the fluxgate is probably at
NMEA level (0V and 5V). This is outside the specs of RS-232 and whether a
serial port on a computer will read that is a matter of coincidence.

Meindert

Steve

Then, this being the case, then this input to the radar it should be ok
since the compass sensor input is designated as DATA- H and DATA-C.

BTW. Would this NMEA level (0V and 5V) be compatable with your
multiplexors?? I kinda assumed so..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions.

Meindert Sprang

"Steve" wrote in message
Then, this being the case, then this input to the radar it should be ok
since the compass sensor input is designated as DATA- H and DATA-C.

BTW. Would this NMEA level (0V and 5V) be compatable with your
multiplexors?? I kinda assumed so..

Hi Steve, I was just preparing an answer to your e-mail.

You mentioned a CLOCK-H and a CLOCK-C too, didn't you? That would make me
think that the heading sensor input expects something proprietary, since
NMEA does not use a clock. Can you, just for a test, connect the fluxgate to
the NMEA data input instead of the GPS?

My multiplexer inputs are NMEA compatible, effectively 'eating' anything
between 2V and 30V.

Meindert

Steve

Just top clearify the CLOCK-H and CLOCK-C on the Furuno Radar:

This radar is set up primarily for a Gyro Input via their AD-100 A/D
converter which produces a proprietory format AD10S input signal to the Gyro
connector (heading sensor). However the way I read the manual this connector
can alternately except NMEA 0183 input.

Here is the way the manual discribes this sensor connection:

"The heading sensor (FLUX-50, C-2000/3000) having AD10S format or NMEA 0183
output data format can be connected instead of a gyrocompass. In this case,
you should select the 'MAG' instead of 'GYRO' on the INSTALLATION menu."
"When heading data of NMEA 0183 format is used, connect the signal to 'GYRO'
connector J353 #1(DATA-H) and data #2 (DATA-C). The acceptable data
(talker/sentence are ** HDM, **HDG and **HDT."

I'm now begining to understand that all NMEA outputs are "not equal".. As I
look at the schematic diagram of the output port on my Furuno GP32 GPS, I
see the talker port connector has outputs labeled RD, SD, Signal GRD which
are used for the serial input to the computer. Then there is additional
output designated as DATA-H and DATA-C (same as Signal GRD) these go to the
none serial devices.

I think I know or had heard all of this in the past but it just never soaked
in. I'll keep it in mind in my Future hook up attempts.

Regarding trying to read the Flux data on the DATA input port on the radar,
I think I have tried that, but just to make sure, I will give it a try
today.. The connectors are identical however they pins utilized are
different.. I can make that change over on my 'hardwire' hub.

Thanks again for all the comments, emails and recommendations..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

Default Flux Compass input to radar ;o)) PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Ah! It's a great day, especially when I find out the problem was not mine
but a wiring error (or documentation error) on the DATA connector on the
back of the unit..

The manual shows DATA SIGNAL on pin #4 and DATA SIGNAL RETURN on pin #5.

As Wired: DATA SIGNAL is actually on pin #2 and DATA SIGNAL RETURN on pin
#3..

I also verified that both the connector and plugs have pin markings that
match up.. I think this was a documentation error..

BTW. The main reason I didn't intiate pin swaping earlier is because pin #6
of this DATA connector, for some strange reason, has 12vdc on it... That I
verified early on and insulated the lug on in the DIN back shell..

The radar now has a compass sensor heading so I can do a little more with on
screen plotting without manually computing the Mag. ships heading.. There
are also some tricks I can perform with the Yeoman, like place lolly-pop
markers on Nav Aids before the radar actually can pick them up.. (then
again, short handed sailing, I never have time to do anything fancy at the
chart table..)

Thanks again to those who responded.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Meindert Sprang

"Steve" wrote in message
Ah! It's a great day, especially when I find out the problem was not mine
but a wiring error (or documentation error) on the DATA connector on the
back of the unit..

Those are great days. I have the same feeling when stopping work for the
weekend. The problems or bugs I solve on a Friday afternoon feel best!

Meindert