Harry Krause

Default Are external cellphone antennae...

....worth the trouble of installation on a boat, generally speaking?

Can anyone report specific instances of improved reception and range
after installing a marine cell phone antenna for a typical handheld
cellphone?

And, with all the different cell phone frequencies "out there," is there
a single antenna that "fits all," assuming different plug kits are
available for the business end of the antenna connection wire?

And no, I have no interest in carrying or using a bag phone or in an
jury-rigged solutions.

Thanks!

--
Email sent to is never read.
Larry

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 09:15:10 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

...worth the trouble of installation on a boat, generally speaking?

Can anyone report specific instances of improved reception and range
after installing a marine cell phone antenna for a typical handheld
cellphone?

And, with all the different cell phone frequencies "out there," is there
a single antenna that "fits all," assuming different plug kits are
available for the business end of the antenna connection wire?

And no, I have no interest in carrying or using a bag phone or in an
jury-rigged solutions.

Thanks!

Never used a marine version, but while there are multiple modulation
schemes, there are only really two frequencies in use - the 800 mhz band
and the 1800 or 1900 (I think) mhz band other than the PCS stuff. There
are lots of dual band antennae. I use one on my car and it made a
substantial difference with a Motorola StarTac (tri-mode, dual band phone).
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com
Harry Krause

Larry wrote:

[...]

Hey, thanks.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:14:35 GMT, Larry wrote:

[...]

I'll second that.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"We may say of angling as Dr. Boteler said of strawberries:
Doubtless God could have made a better berry, but doubtless
God never did and so, if I might be judge, God never did make
a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler"(1653)

Marcus AAkesson

wrote:

...worth the trouble of installation on a boat, generally speaking?

Can anyone report specific instances of improved reception and range
after installing a marine cell phone antenna for a typical handheld
cellphone?

Yes, definitely.

Setup: Nokia Carkit with 6210 installed at chart table. Combination RR
Electronics antenna in mast 18m a.s.l.

Always provides better range than a handheld phone.
On one specific instance last summer, there was no coverage at the
mooring with hand held phones. Nothing, nada. 5 people trying to make
calls with different phones without luck. With the ext. antenna, I had
4/5 or so, absolutely perfect sound.

Using GSM900.

Next year there will be a fixed-mount 8W Motorola GSM, and a
fixed-mount 15W Motorola NMT450....!

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson
Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779

Harry Krause

wrote:

...worth the trouble of installation on a boat, generally speaking?

Can anyone report specific instances of improved reception and range
after installing a marine cell phone antenna for a typical handheld
cellphone?

Yes, definitely.

Setup: Nokia Carkit with 6210 installed at chart table. Combination RR
Electronics antenna in mast 18m a.s.l.

Always provides better range than a handheld phone.
On one specific instance last summer, there was no coverage at the
mooring with hand held phones. Nothing, nada. 5 people trying to make
calls with different phones without luck. With the ext. antenna, I had
4/5 or so, absolutely perfect sound.

Using GSM900.

Next year there will be a fixed-mount 8W Motorola GSM, and a
fixed-mount 15W Motorola NMT450....!

/Marcus

Thanks...I'm also looking at a sat phone, about $200, plus less than 20
cents a minute. My cell calls tend to be short.

--
Email sent to is never read.