Shortwave Sportfishing

Default Are external cellphone antennae...

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:14:35 GMT, Larry wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 09:15:10 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

...worth the trouble of installation on a boat, generally speaking?

Can anyone report specific instances of improved reception and range
after installing a marine cell phone antenna for a typical handheld
cellphone?

And, with all the different cell phone frequencies "out there," is there
a single antenna that "fits all," assuming different plug kits are
available for the business end of the antenna connection wire?

And no, I have no interest in carrying or using a bag phone or in an
jury-rigged solutions.

Thanks!

Never used a marine version, but while there are multiple modulation
schemes, there are only really two frequencies in use - the 800 mhz band
and the 1800 or 1900 (I think) mhz band other than the PCS stuff. There
are lots of dual band antennae. I use one on my car and it made a
substantial difference with a Motorola StarTac (tri-mode, dual band phone).

I'll second that.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"We may say of angling as Dr. Boteler said of strawberries:
Doubtless God could have made a better berry, but doubtless
God never did and so, if I might be judge, God never did make
a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler"(1653)