Len Krauss

Default TV Tuner - External for WinXP

Can anyone recommend a USB connected external TV Tuner, cable ready, with
remote control for use with WinXP notebook PC?

Or not recommend, if there's one to steer clear of.

Thanks.

--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.

Al

I tried the ATI TV Wonder(plugs into USB) with my HP notebook with XP
and couldn't get it to run right, kept crashing, so I took it back. I
have also been casually looking, but haven't seen anything XP
certified yet.

Al

"Len Krauss" wrote in message ...
Can anyone recommend a USB connected external TV Tuner, cable ready, with
remote control for use with WinXP notebook PC?

Or not recommend, if there's one to steer clear of.

Thanks.

Len Krauss

Thanks Al. I was afraid there might be such problems.

Another thing that could work for me, on the boat of course, is 12vdc/120vac
small-LCD-screen flat panel TV, cable ready. I've seen ads for one or two,
but know nothing about them. If you or someone else can commnet pro or con,
would appreciate it.

Thanks.

--

"Len Krauss" wrote in message

Can anyone recommend a USB connected external TV Tuner, cable ready,

with
remote control for use with WinXP notebook PC?

Or not recommend, if there's one to steer clear of.

Thanks.

Larry W4CSC

USB resources in your computer are not fast enough to provide good
full motion video to your PC and its monitor. That requires direct
memory access from the bus to the video card's memory, so the video
card must be plugged into one of your bus ports.

I've been using the Hauppauge WinTV card, here, for many years. It's
fully cable-ready and provides a dithered, high resolution analog
picture that doesn't suck up any system resources or slow down my
older 733 Mhz computer you can notice.

Even USB 2.0 is too slow, and even if you did get it working, you'd
have no other USB devices to use because it would suck up all the
system resources trying to keep up with the picture and the intense
data necessary for it.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:02:40 GMT, "Len Krauss"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a USB connected external TV Tuner, cable ready, with
remote control for use with WinXP notebook PC?

Or not recommend, if there's one to steer clear of.

Thanks.

--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Meindert Sprang

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
USB resources in your computer are not fast enough to provide good
full motion video to your PC and its monitor. That requires direct
memory access from the bus to the video card's memory, so the video
card must be plugged into one of your bus ports.

I disagree with you Larry. Provided the video is sufficiently compressed,
enough bandwidth on the USB bus can be allocated for streaming video in TV
quality.

Even USB 2.0 is too slow,

No. USB 2.0 is 480Mbit/s while the FireWire bus, which is suitable for
top-notch studio quality is "only" 400Mbit/s

Regards,
Meindert

Steve

I have been looking at the Sharp 15" LCD and it is great in all levels of
light.

While look considering it for the boat, I get to thinking about the
feasability of using it as a monitor for the LapTop.. Anyone have an idea of
this and the hardware involved to do this through the A/V ??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Peter S/Y Anicula

I still haven't done it but I am still considering building a 12V Mini-itx
computer, and use a 15'" or a 17" LCD tv as monitor.

The computer can be build for less than 1000$, including a notebook
combodrew and a notebook harddisk. Notebook dvd-writers will soon be
available and might be interesting, but I'm not sure whether you will need a
PCI compression-card to be able to use it as a TV-recorder.

see http://mini-itx.com/

The problems I se is: Is your current supplie stabile enough? If not you
might need a 11-17V to 12V converter which might set you back another
50-150$.

Peter S/Y Anicula

"Steve" skrev i en meddelelse
I have been looking at the Sharp 15" LCD and it is great in all levels of
light.

While look considering it for the boat, I get to thinking about the
feasability of using it as a monitor for the LapTop.. Anyone have an idea

of
this and the hardware involved to do this through the A/V ??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

"Peter S/Y Anicula" wrote in message
k...
The problems I se is: Is your current supplie stabile enough? If not you
might need a 11-17V to 12V converter which might set you back another
50-150$.

Peter S/Y Anicula

I'm not sure if your questioning the stability of the 12v for the LCD tv or
for the laptop.??

I have solved the problem of a stable 12v for my Laptop with a 'brick' that
was made for the Toshiba (discussed in another thread).
The Sharp 15" LCD comes as a 12-13 vdc unit with a wall wart for domestic
use..

I am currently using a duel power, 12vdc/110vac, cathode type tv now but it
is only 10" and draws more current than the LCD..

I'm just waiting for the cost of the LCD TVs to come down in price.. The
Sharp 15 LCD is now available online for $490~ and that is $100 cheaper than
in the discount stores.

BTW. My son is in the industry and told me that several new LCD screen
production plants have been open recently and that production of LCD screens
is now cheaper and easier than cathode color picture tubes (production
equipment less involved). He expects the price of all color LCDs to drop
dramaticly in the next 2 years.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Len Krauss

For an experiment I attached a 15" Hitachi TFT LCD to my HP notebook WinXP
PC. The notebook has an output jack for an aux monitor, and you can select
to view either or both. If there are aux speakers, there's a jack for these
too. The idea was to use it for realtime nav work w/ Capn. It was bright
enough and had good contrast, but would not be exposed to weather. It will
work just fine me and eliminates clutter, esp using a finger mouse. I'm
waiting for price to come down, before I commit.
--
"Steve" wrote in message
I have been looking at the Sharp 15" LCD and it is great in all levels of
light.

While look considering it for the boat, I get to thinking about the
feasability of using it as a monitor for the LapTop.. Anyone have an idea

of
this and the hardware involved to do this through the A/V ??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

"Len Krauss" wrote in message
too. The idea was to use it for realtime nav work w/ Capn. It was bright
enough and had good contrast, but would not be exposed to weather. It will

That is just what I wanted to do.. However the laptop will remain on the
chart table.. The charts are not bright enough for me to see details from 8
ft away, in the companionway.. I thought maybe the larger and brighter LCT
tv screen might be a solution for a remote monitor..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions