Vito

Default Noisy Guest

Hey y'all, Happy New Year!!

I recently bought a $135 Guest brand 10A (2x5) battery charger. The
raterfratzer generates so much RF that it blanks my child bride's Icom 706
Mk2G on all bands even tho it's on a different power supply! It even
garbages up my 448.475 repeater that has it's own internal supply! Arggggg!

Got any ideas on how to quiet it down? I tried ferrite beads t no avail.

Know of any quite, affordable automatic chargers in the 10A range?

TIA, K3DWW

Larry W4CSC

I have to turn off the Guest on Lionheart to use HF. It radiates 20
over S9 noise into the Icom M802's insulated backstay. I tried to
make a Faraday shield for it out of tin foil, but it radiates into the
AC line cord so bad it was useless. I can't shield it all the way up
the dock.

You should hear what an Adler-Barbour 12V electronic-controlled fridge
does to Channel 16, the only channel it eats.....with a throbbing,
bzzt-----bzzt------bzzt bzzt bzzt that will drive you NUTS!

73 DE W4CSC
CHARLESTON

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 08:40:52 -0500, "Vito" wrote:

Hey y'all, Happy New Year!!

I recently bought a $135 Guest brand 10A (2x5) battery charger. The
raterfratzer generates so much RF that it blanks my child bride's Icom 706
Mk2G on all bands even tho it's on a different power supply! It even
garbages up my 448.475 repeater that has it's own internal supply! Arggggg!

Got any ideas on how to quiet it down? I tried ferrite beads t no avail.

Know of any quite, affordable automatic chargers in the 10A range?

TIA, K3DWW

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 16:14:32 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

[...]

I think it's gotta be the switching power supplies - I have the same
problem on my Contender - it is annoying.

I've wondered if building something solid state and cascade the
voltage if that would help the situation any?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"I object to fishing tournaments less for
what they do to fish than what they do to
fishermen." Ted Williams - 1964

Larry W4CSC

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:09:47 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

I think it's gotta be the switching power supplies - I have the same
problem on my Contender - it is annoying.

Any electronics that "switches" is a big transmitter. It generates
harmonic-rich square waves and pulses.

I've wondered if building something solid state and cascade the
voltage if that would help the situation any?

No, actually the solution is quite simple. Go back to the old,
reliable analog chargers that simply put out pulsating DC voltages to
the battery and when you noticed the current dropping off, you turned
the charger off manually or had a saturable reactor that would taper
the charge. The old chargers without the switching electronics we're
in love with, made no radio noise at all......

Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:02:37 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

Until the transformers go soft. ;)

S'plane to me how transformers "go soft"??

Michael Ohlhorst

Heck, I've got a Astron RS-30a under my desk that is noiser than hell
and has been since I bought it WAY back when. :)

The noise of an offline switcher could be as loud as these. But this will be
at 10-20 Kilo Herz. The possibilty to vacuum
inject epoxy is the same with standard transformers as with high frequency
switch mode transformers.

michael

Larry W4CSC

wrote:

Until the transformers go soft. ;)

S'plane to me how transformers "go soft"??

You've been around as long as I have, don't tell me you've never had a
transformer loosen it's windings, or the varnish disintegrate on the
wire causing transformer noise - both RF and mechanical.

A buzzing loose core doesn't change transformer operation, that I ever
saw. Hell, if that was so, half the flourescent lights in any WalMart
would be dark!

Heck, I've got a Astron RS-30a under my desk that is noiser than hell
and has been since I bought it WAY back when. :)

Junk it. I did mine. If that damned series pass transistor ever
shorts, you can kiss all your equipment hooked to it good bye when the
20-some volts hits them. I don't use analog, series pass regulated
power supplies, here. The ham shack 12V equipment all runs off a bank
of 90-year-old Nickel-Iron cells I got from a demolished Holiday Inn.
They provide about 800AH at 14VDC and are charged by a WalMart
automatic shutoff 10A charger all mounted under the house. This power
supply provides the 120A 14VDC to power my highly-modified TenTec
Hercules II solid state HF linear amp, about 650W OUTPUT. It also
powers all the VHF, scanners, and other 12V toys cluttering up the
desk. It's hooked to a 1KW Tripplite UPS that powers the desk light
and computers/monitors/modems/routers and other network toys in power
outage. The lights in here don't ever blink...(c;

One of my neighbors came over to ask if I knew why the power was off.
Seeing my computer running on the net, he thought his house was down.
I told him my power was off, too, and I had called it in.

Batteries don't hum and go ballastic with high voltage to destroy
everything like series-pass analog power supplies....yecch!

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT