Ric

Default building human powered generator for boat

Has anybody built a cycle-generator for use on a sailing boat? I can produce
about 150W at steady state and up to 400W in bursts on a training bike, so I
figure if I built a small cycle-generator for my boat I could produce a
useful amount of amphours in an hour or so and keep in cycling shape too
while on my boat. Anybody built one? What could I use for the generator -
would a motor out of a car windscreen wiper assembly be suitable?

Steve Thomas

I think that your best choice for a generator would be to go to your
local auto-recycler and buy the smallest externally regulated alternator
that they have. By using a reostat to control the current through the rotor,
you will be able to regulate the mechanical resistance to your pedaling
effort. Any alternator or generator needs fairly high rpm and this will be
easier to achieve with a chain drive instead of a belt. Chains can be messy
on the other hand, so if you do use a belt, don't try to use a smaller
diameter pulley on the alternator than the one it was originally equiped
with.

"Ric" wrote in message
Has anybody built a cycle-generator for use on a sailing boat? I can

produce
about 150W at steady state and up to 400W in bursts on a training bike, so

figure if I built a small cycle-generator for my boat I could produce a
useful amount of amphours in an hour or so and keep in cycling shape too
while on my boat. Anybody built one? What could I use for the generator -
would a motor out of a car windscreen wiper assembly be suitable?

Rheilly Phoull

"Ric" wrote in message
Has anybody built a cycle-generator for use on a sailing boat? I can

produce
about 150W at steady state and up to 400W in bursts on a training bike,

so
figure if I built a small cycle-generator for my boat I could produce a
useful amount of amphours in an hour or so and keep in cycling shape too
while on my boat. Anybody built one? What could I use for the

generator -
would a motor out of a car windscreen wiper assembly be suitable?

Would this be a good situation for a "recliner" setup ?? Ya could catch up
on a book and do the "miles" at the same time !
Here is a link to a similar project.
http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/pedgen.html

--
Regards ............... Rheilly Phoull

BruceM

What century do you live in??
lol
Back in about 1930 or something, they used to have your suggested design to
run the power for the "flying doctor" radios in outback Australia. Hang on a
tick & I'll ask my grandfather to help you............. bugger, 40 years too
late!!
lol
BruceM

u...

"Ric" wrote in message
Has anybody built a cycle-generator for use on a sailing boat? I can

produce
about 150W at steady state and up to 400W in bursts on a training

bike,
so
figure if I built a small cycle-generator for my boat I could produce

useful amount of amphours in an hour or so and keep in cycling shape

too
while on my boat. Anybody built one? What could I use for the

generator -
would a motor out of a car windscreen wiper assembly be suitable?

Would this be a good situation for a "recliner" setup ?? Ya could catch up
on a book and do the "miles" at the same time !
Here is a link to a similar project.
http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/pedgen.html

--
Regards ............... Rheilly Phoull

Rheilly Phoull

"BruceM" wrote in message
What century do you live in??
lol
Back in about 1930 or something, they used to have your suggested design

run the power for the "flying doctor" radios in outback Australia. Hang on

tick & I'll ask my grandfather to help you............. bugger, 40 years

too
late!!
lol
BruceM

Ohh yeah !! we're catching up here in OZ, we got TV and flush toilets now
and we all speak American and wear our caps back to front.

--
Regards ............... Rheilly Phoull

David Flew

Pedal Radio ( do a google search - ) showed that human power was sufficient
for good radio communication over long distances several decades ago. I
can't see why anyone would want to do it this way now, given the
availability of solar power and more efficient electronics, but if pedal
power is all you can get, why not?
Df

"BruceM" wrote in message
What century do you live in??
lol
Back in about 1930 or something, they used to have your suggested design

run the power for the "flying doctor" radios in outback Australia. Hang

on
tick & I'll ask my grandfather to help you............. bugger, 40 years

too
late!!
lol
BruceM

Ohh yeah !! we're catching up here in OZ, we got TV and flush toilets now
and we all speak American and wear our caps back to front.

--
Regards ............... Rheilly Phoull

Ric

"Odd Elvis" wrote in message
Some people like to stay fit...

quite! I already have solar panels and a wind generator. But I like cycling
and miss that while I am on my boat. It would be cool to get some exercise
and electricity at the same time.

doug dotson

Ric,

I just picked up a couple of permanent magnet generators off of Ebay. They
are tape drive motors. I spun one up with a cordless drill (fairly low RPMs)
and it puts out 30+ volts open circuit. They are very popular for building
wind generators, hydro generators, etc. Just search Ebay for "Ametek" or
"wind generator" and you'll se several. I think it is just the ticket for
what
you are looking for.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Ric" wrote in message

"Odd Elvis" wrote in message
Some people like to stay fit...

quite! I already have solar panels and a wind generator. But I like

cycling
and miss that while I am on my boat. It would be cool to get some exercise
and electricity at the same time.

Richard Kollmann

"Ric" wrote in message ...
Has anybody built a cycle-generator for use on a sailing boat? I can produce
about 150W at steady state and up to 400W in bursts on a training bike, so I
figure if I built a small cycle-generator for my boat I could produce a
useful amount of amphours in an hour or so and keep in cycling shape too
while on my boat. Anybody built one? What could I use for the generator -
would a motor out of a car windscreen wiper assembly be suitable?

I know just what you are looking for it is called a Gibson Girl, strap
it to your legs and turn the crank. The Gibson Girl was carried on
over water flights fifty years ago. This waterproof unit was a 6 to 24
volt generator and transmitter.

From the author of four books on boat refrigeration
http://www.kollmann-marine.com