Harry Krause

Default Portable VHF Radio Gift for Buddy

A close friend is buying a skiff for inshore fishing and I can't talk
him into installing a "permanent" VHF radio with antenna. So for XMAS, I
plan on buying him a portable VHF as a gift.

But there are so many of them out there. I have a ICOM portableI use
(rarely) as a backup on my boats, but it is a few years old and probably
no longer in production.

Any suggestions? Since it is for a small boat, ruggedized and
water-resistance are important characteristics.

What should I buy for a good-quality VHF portable for a gift?

--
Email sent to is never read.
Dan Krueger

I really like my Standard Horizon HX460S. It's small (maybe the size of a pack
of cigarettes), submersible (I don't intend to test that feature!), has
rechargeable batteries, a belt clip, and a three year warranty.

From their website: "The HX460S utilizes a high impact, non-corrosive die-cast
case and chassis. This unique case insures the HX460S will withstand the
physical abuse a Handheld VHF receives from being dropped or banged on the deck
of a boat. Using the HX460S in the rain or in a life boat is not a issue as it
can take submersions of 3' for 30 minutes."

BTW- The whole thing fits nicely in a Garmin GPS12/76 padded case. The antenna
has to be removed but it stores next to the unit.

It's a little pricey, but my ICOM lasted a whole year before the battery stopped
charging...

Dan

Harry Krause wrote:

A close friend is buying a skiff for inshore fishing and I can't talk
him into installing a "permanent" VHF radio with antenna. So for XMAS, I
plan on buying him a portable VHF as a gift.

But there are so many of them out there. I have a ICOM portableI use
(rarely) as a backup on my boats, but it is a few years old and probably
no longer in production.

Any suggestions? Since it is for a small boat, ruggedized and
water-resistance are important characteristics.

What should I buy for a good-quality VHF portable for a gift?

Harry Krause

Dan Krueger wrote:

I really like my Standard Horizon HX460S. It's small (maybe the size of a pack
of cigarettes), submersible (I don't intend to test that feature!), has
rechargeable batteries, a belt clip, and a three year warranty.

From their website: "The HX460S utilizes a high impact, non-corrosive die-cast

Harry Krause wrote:

A close friend is buying a skiff for inshore fishing and I can't talk
him into installing a "permanent" VHF radio with antenna. So for XMAS, I
plan on buying him a portable VHF as a gift.

But there are so many of them out there. I have a ICOM portableI use
(rarely) as a backup on my boats, but it is a few years old and probably
no longer in production.

Any suggestions? Since it is for a small boat, ruggedized and
water-resistance are important characteristics.

What should I buy for a good-quality VHF portable for a gift?

Thanks. I'll look it up.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Jralbert

In article , Harry Krause
writes:

What should I buy for a good-quality VHF portable for a gift?

I'd get a moderately priced unit, saving room in the budget for a whip
antenna. And, a waterproof see-through cover for the radio.
Joel Albert
Potomac, MD
))

Harry Krause

Boots Crofoot wrote:
I would stay with the ICOM brand
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
A close friend is buying a skiff for inshore fishing and I
can't talk
him into installing a "permanent" VHF radio with antenna. So
for XMAS, I
plan on buying him a portable VHF as a gift.

But there are so many of them out there. I have a ICOM
portableI use
(rarely) as a backup on my boats, but it is a few years old
and probably
no longer in production.

Any suggestions? Since it is for a small boat, ruggedized
and
water-resistance are important characteristics.

What should I buy for a good-quality VHF portable for a
gift?

Thanks. I am planning to do that, though I do like hte standard-horizon
unit with the FRS.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Peter Kennedy

Try this, its a great deal:

Description

NEW Standard Horizon HX350S submersible handheld VHF

a.. Submersible to 3 feet for 30 minutes
b.. Huge LCD display
c.. Backlit keys
d.. Programmable scan, priority scan
e.. 10 hour rechargable battery
f.. Additional AA alkaline battery pack
g.. 110v AC and 12v DC chargers
h.. 3 year waterproof warranty
i.. $25 manufacturers mail-in rebate until 12/31
New in box. All US, Canadian and International channels,
switchable transmit output from 1 to 5 Watts. Made in Japan.

For sale on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=2447123 987

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
A close friend is buying a skiff for inshore fishing and I can't talk
him into installing a "permanent" VHF radio with antenna. So for XMAS, I
plan on buying him a portable VHF as a gift.

But there are so many of them out there. I have a ICOM portableI use
(rarely) as a backup on my boats, but it is a few years old and probably
no longer in production.

Any suggestions? Since it is for a small boat, ruggedized and
water-resistance are important characteristics.

What should I buy for a good-quality VHF portable for a gift?

--
Email sent to is never read.

Attached Images
File Type: gif x.gif (43 Bytes, 36 views)