Bob Owen

Default 12 volt laptop

Does any know which laptops run off 12 volt and therefore do not need an
inverter I think the old Toshiba one did
Cheers Bob

Larry W4CSC

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:36:03 +1300, "Bob Owen"
wrote:

Does any know which laptops run off 12 volt and therefore do not need an
inverter I think the old Toshiba one did
Cheers Bob

Lots of laptops have 12V power cords with the appropriate DC to DC
converter in them made to run them off a car battery. What kind do
you have, now?

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"

Steve

My Toshiba Tecra 8000 runs nicely off the 12 volts on my boat.. I purchased
a voltage conditioner for it (DC to DC). I don't consider that an inverter..
Works fine directly into the laptop, into the docking station or into the
stand alone battery charger.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Bob Owen

I have a compac 1700 which has a power cord that goes straight to it

I do know that some computers have a step-down converter that takes mains
voltage and brings it down to 13 volts so were that plugs into the computer
it only need 13 volts which will normally run on a 12 volt system, that is
what I am after.

Cheers Bob

wrote:

Does any know which laptops run off 12 volt and therefore do not need an
inverter I think the old Toshiba one did
Cheers Bob

Lots of laptops have 12V power cords with the appropriate DC to DC
converter in them made to run them off a car battery. What kind do
you have, now?

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"

Steve

I don't have the "Auto Adapter for Toshiba Portege and Tecra".

I paid $10.50 for it on eBay over a year ago. It is made by a third party
and since it is onboard the boat right now, I'm afraid I can't get a model
number for you..

I'll try and get a model number and post it later.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Bob Owen

Thanks Steve
do I understand that your Toshiba 8000 runs on 12 volt directly. I have not
come across a voltage conditioner what does that do. A inverter is not good
for me as I use the computer for weather fax and an inverter interferes with
the radio.
Cheers Bob

"Steve" wrote in message
My Toshiba Tecra 8000 runs nicely off the 12 volts on my boat.. I

purchased
a voltage conditioner for it (DC to DC). I don't consider that an

inverter..
Works fine directly into the laptop, into the docking station or into the
stand alone battery charger.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

Sorry, I ment to say that I HAVE the "Auto Adapter for Toshiba Portege and
Tecra"

Steve

Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

Does any know which laptops run off 12 volt and therefore do not need an
inverter I think the old Toshiba one did
Cheers Bob

I have never had trouble getting a 12-V charger for any laptop. I have
used NEC, IBM, and Toshiba.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Wanting to meet a writer because you like his work is like wanting to meet a duck because you like pate."
Margaret Atwood
Bob La Londe

I think all of the Laptops I have had ran off of 12V DC. I'ld just go down
to a computer store and look at some. One had a weird connector, but most
did not. The biggy is the current capacity of the power supply is fairly
high becasue it runs the laptop and charges the battery at the same time.
ON a boat I would consider putting in an outlet for it with heavier than
average wires going directly to one of your batteries. Fused of course.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

"Bob Owen" wrote in message
Does any know which laptops run off 12 volt and therefore do not need an
inverter I think the old Toshiba one did
Cheers Bob

Splitpair

If you dont need a bunch of processing power the Itronix 6250 is an
excellent very heavy duty weather-proof laptop that will run with and charge
its battery on 12vdc

SP