zachary alan schramm

Default SSB Weatherfax Receiver

I am interested in receiving weather fax charts, are the great lakes
covered. I found software that will demodulate the signal without extra
equipment so I was looking into a ssb radio. What kind would I need? I
want to get the cheapest receiver I can but one that would produce a good
signal for good charts. Let me know if anyone has any experience with
this.

-Zac Schramm
Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

There's a nice web site at http://www.hffax.de/ on this subject.

West Marine also has a SSB receive only unit for sale that
might save you a penny or two over a transmitter setup.

"zachary alan schramm" wrote in message
I am interested in receiving weather fax charts, are the great lakes
covered. I found software that will demodulate the signal without extra
equipment so I was looking into a ssb radio. What kind would I need? I
want to get the cheapest receiver I can but one that would produce a good
signal for good charts. Let me know if anyone has any experience with
this.

-Zac Schramm

Gordon Wedman

If you just want to receive weatherfax and not talk to anyone you don't need
a "marine ssb" radio as commonly discussed here. You just need a good
shortwave receiver with upper and lower sideband reception. You will save
more than a few pennies over buying a "marine ssb".
I can't recommend any specific make for this application but you would
probably be fine with any Icom or Yaesu receiver that has digital readout
and USB/LSB. Maybe try a ham radio newsgroup for recommendations on a good
general coverage receiver. Tuning accuracy and stability would also be
considerations.

"zachary alan schramm" wrote in message
I am interested in receiving weather fax charts, are the great lakes
covered. I found software that will demodulate the signal without extra
equipment so I was looking into a ssb radio. What kind would I need? I
want to get the cheapest receiver I can but one that would produce a good
signal for good charts. Let me know if anyone has any experience with
this.

-Zac Schramm

Albert P. Belle Isle

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:24:13 GMT, zachary alan schramm
wrote:

I am interested in receiving weather fax charts, are the great lakes
covered. I found software that will demodulate the signal without extra
equipment so I was looking into a ssb radio. What kind would I need? I
want to get the cheapest receiver I can but one that would produce a good
signal for good charts. Let me know if anyone has any experience with
this.

-Zac Schramm

Zac,

As is apparent from my signature block below, I'm a bit of a radio
fanatic when it comes to home use.

However, for my Hunter 310 I bought an Icom R-75 receiver to feed my
laptop for HF-Fax, Halifax (CFH) RTTY weather broadcasts and NAVTEX
broadcasts. The receiver works well with either its AC power brick on
AC shorepower, or directly from a 12v accessory socket.

Best of all, it's a pretty good approximation to my mulit-$k rackmount
receivers for US$450 (from Ham Radio Outlet).

Another possibility you might consider (as I did) is the somewhat
dated (but still very good) Yaesu FRG-100 (at the same price).

As you probably know, the best freeware fax decoder software is WxSat,
but I find the little $35 software combo SeaTTY to be a very good buy
for decoding HF-Fax, RTTY and NAVTEX messages in a simple and
convenient package.

(I also have the Hoka Code300-32 suite of profesional decoders for my
digital intercept hobby, but that's over-complicated extravagence for
cruising weather broadcats.)

Good listening,
Al
Location: 42N39, 71W09 (Near Boston, MA)
HF Antennas: 65ft TFD, 45ft T2FD, 28ft vertical, 65ft doublet
HF Receivers: Ten-Tec RX340, RX320, Harris R2368, Cubic R3030A
Decoders: Code300-32, Universal M-8000, PK-232MBX/DSP

Doug Dotson

The Grundig Yachtboy used to be well regarded for fax reception. In
the Bahamas last winter we traveled with several boats that had them.
No good. Very poor sensitivity.

DOug
s/v Callista

"zachary alan schramm" wrote in message
I am interested in receiving weather fax charts, are the great lakes
covered. I found software that will demodulate the signal without extra
equipment so I was looking into a ssb radio. What kind would I need? I
want to get the cheapest receiver I can but one that would produce a good
signal for good charts. Let me know if anyone has any experience with
this.

-Zac Schramm

Albert P. Belle Isle

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:39:23 GMT, Albert P. Belle Isle
wrote:

Zac,

As is apparent from my signature block below, I'm a bit of a radio
fanatic when it comes to home use.

However, for my Hunter 310 I bought an Icom R-75 receiver to feed my
laptop for HF-Fax, Halifax (CFH) RTTY weather broadcasts and NAVTEX
broadcasts. The receiver works well with either its AC power brick on
AC shorepower, or directly from a 12v accessory socket.

Best of all, it's a pretty good approximation to my mulit-$k rackmount
receivers for US$450 (from Ham Radio Outlet).

Another possibility you might consider (as I did) is the somewhat
dated (but still very good) Yaesu FRG-100 (at the same price).

Zac,

I forgot to mention another receiver option, the Ten-Tec RX320.

It's a better receiver than either the Icom or Yaesu, using digital
signal processing for its IF filtering and demodulation functions.

It also runs on 12vdc, either from an included power brick or boat
power, and only costs $300.

However, it is a "black-box" computer-controlled receiver, that would
require you to use additional (free) software to control it.

The advantage of the R75 is that I can listen to broadcast programming
(or voice weather broadcasts) without powering-up the laptop.

Good listening,
Al
Location: 42N39, 71W09 (Near Boston, MA)
HF Antennas: 65ft TFD, 45ft T2FD, 28ft vertical, 65ft doublet
HF Receivers: Ten-Tec RX340, RX320, Harris R2368, Cubic R3030A
Decoders: Code300-32, Universal M-8000, PK-232MBX/DSP
Glenn Ashmore

The YB 400 on a long wire will get a usable fax out of New Orleans out
as far as the Mona Passage if your Karma is right and you are very
delicate with the tuning.

Radio Shack used to sell the dual 120VAC/12VDC DX-394 for under $200
that was a really good SSB receiver for the money. I used it on several
deliveries for fax reception. Unfortunately it was to good for Radio
Shack so it was discontinued. Now they sell for close to new prices on
ebay.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

zachary alan schramm

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, I am looking into both the ten-tec and the
dx-394. I'll see what I can find

Doug Dotson wrote:
The Grundig Yachtboy used to be well regarded for fax reception. In
the Bahamas last winter we traveled with several boats that had them.
No good. Very poor sensitivity.

DOug
s/v Callista

"zachary alan schramm" wrote in message

I am interested in receiving weather fax charts, are the great lakes
covered. I found software that will demodulate the signal without extra
equipment so I was looking into a ssb radio. What kind would I need? I
want to get the cheapest receiver I can but one that would produce a good
signal for good charts. Let me know if anyone has any experience with
this.

-Zac Schramm

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Al

The Sony 7600G digital receiver covers all the short wave bands you will
need from 0.5 to 30MHz, with upper and lower sideband included for the
weather fax reception. It also receives the regular AM and FM stations for
news, sports, and weather info.

This radio also operates on internal AA batteries, or external dc with a
Radio Shack adaptor from 12volts to the 6 volts required for the Sony.
Compact like a pocket book, it won't take up much space and is stable enough
to stay on channel 24 hours a day.

Use the included two foot telescopic antenna, or attach a wire to one of
your stays or mast for dramatically more signal strength. Disconnect when
in the presence of lightning storms.

Al

Doug Dotson wrote:
[...]

Morad Antennas was weatherfax ANTENNA NIFFOCBT Electronics 0 September 11th 03 12:44 AM
weatherfax Klaus Electronics 9 August 29th 03 02:03 AM
gps receiver for JRC 1000 radar Jim Donohue Electronics 1 July 25th 03 05:33 PM