Al

Default SSB Weatherfax Receiver

The Sony 7600G digital receiver covers all the short wave bands you will
need from 0.5 to 30MHz, with upper and lower sideband included for the
weather fax reception. It also receives the regular AM and FM stations for
news, sports, and weather info.

This radio also operates on internal AA batteries, or external dc with a
Radio Shack adaptor from 12volts to the 6 volts required for the Sony.
Compact like a pocket book, it won't take up much space and is stable enough
to stay on channel 24 hours a day.

Use the included two foot telescopic antenna, or attach a wire to one of
your stays or mast for dramatically more signal strength. Disconnect when
in the presence of lightning storms.

Al

"zachary alan schramm" wrote in message
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, I am looking into both the ten-tec and the
dx-394. I'll see what I can find

The YB 400 on a long wire will get a usable fax out of New Orleans out
as far as the Mona Passage if your Karma is right and you are very
delicate with the tuning.

Radio Shack used to sell the dual 120VAC/12VDC DX-394 for under $200
that was a really good SSB receiver for the money. I used it on several
deliveries for fax reception. Unfortunately it was to good for Radio
Shack so it was discontinued. Now they sell for close to new prices on
ebay.

Doug Dotson wrote:
The Grundig Yachtboy used to be well regarded for fax reception. In
the Bahamas last winter we traveled with several boats that had them.
No good. Very poor sensitivity.

DOug
s/v Callista

"zachary alan schramm" wrote in message

I am interested in receiving weather fax charts, are the great lakes
covered. I found software that will demodulate the signal without

extra
equipment so I was looking into a ssb radio. What kind would I need?

want to get the cheapest receiver I can but one that would produce a

good
signal for good charts. Let me know if anyone has any experience with
this.

-Zac Schramm

--
Glenn Ashmore