Gordon Wedman

Default SSB Weatherfax Receiver

If you just want to receive weatherfax and not talk to anyone you don't need
a "marine ssb" radio as commonly discussed here. You just need a good
shortwave receiver with upper and lower sideband reception. You will save
more than a few pennies over buying a "marine ssb".
I can't recommend any specific make for this application but you would
probably be fine with any Icom or Yaesu receiver that has digital readout
and USB/LSB. Maybe try a ham radio newsgroup for recommendations on a good
general coverage receiver. Tuning accuracy and stability would also be
considerations.

"zachary alan schramm" wrote in message
I am interested in receiving weather fax charts, are the great lakes
covered. I found software that will demodulate the signal without extra
equipment so I was looking into a ssb radio. What kind would I need? I
want to get the cheapest receiver I can but one that would produce a good
signal for good charts. Let me know if anyone has any experience with
this.

-Zac Schramm