Julian

Default Question for Jim Woodward re Fintry

This is just idle curiosity..... You've got a nice web site and you're
obviously right in the middle of a very active project judging by
all the useful posts you make, but one piece of info I haven't seen
on the web site or in posts is... what is all this for? Did you buy
Fintry (I assume you are the owner) to turn it into a commercial
venture? As a leisure craft (liveaboard?) for yourself? As a
historical restoration project?

I hope you don't mind me asking the question. As I said, it's just
idle curiosity to understand a bit more of the background behind
your posts.

- Julian.

Jim Woodward

The web site is deliberately a little ambiguous as I try to get
wholesale pricing on things and "expedition yacht" covers a lot of
turf.

She is/will be primarily a private yacht. My wife, Dee, and I sailed
around the world on Swee****er, a Swan 57, and have decided that we
wanted to retire afloat. Since our books will not fit on a sailboat
that two people can handle (my upper limit for this is around 75'), we
decided to go power. Tough and heavy because, while we don't expect
to do another circumnav, we do expect to go to more strange and
wonderful places. Some of the other boats we looked at are on the web
site.

The Fleet Tenders have a number of good points:
1) cheap
2) tough
3) with all ballast tanks dry the draft is less than seven feet
4) they're built to Lloyds 100A1 Maltese for use from the Elbe to
Brest (ie, the North Sea -- difficult water)
5) well maintained (if you don't mind the dents from coming alongside
bigger ships a lot)
6) nice hull form -- good entry, flat bottom amidships, nice run. No
chines.
7) the owners are a knowledgeable group of friendly people.

Their disadvantages are
1) either you like the Lister Blackstone or you don't. I love it, but
can't imagine trying to sell the boat with it over here.
2) The early ones are 220VDC. (the later ones are 440/240 3phase 60hz
AC).
3) "tough" means heavy
4) they'll never be truly fair

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

"Julian" wrote in message ...
This is just idle curiosity..... You've got a nice web site and you're
obviously right in the middle of a very active project judging by
all the useful posts you make, but one piece of info I haven't seen
on the web site or in posts is... what is all this for? Did you buy
Fintry (I assume you are the owner) to turn it into a commercial
venture? As a leisure craft (liveaboard?) for yourself? As a
historical restoration project?

I hope you don't mind me asking the question. As I said, it's just
idle curiosity to understand a bit more of the background behind
your posts.

- Julian.

Julian

Thanks for the very complete answer, and also the reason why your
website is somewhat ambiguous re the use; given how complete it
is in other areas I had always been a little puzzled by that. It all
makes perfect sense to me now.

Personally, your answer is the one I hoped for. I think I'm 10 years
behind you on timescales but, apart from that, you're doing exactly
what I hope to be able to do at some point. I'll continue to watch
with even greater interest now that I know that your ultimate goal
is so similar to mine.

- Julian