posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default SSB Balun at TOP of Backstay

I'm posting this for a friend from the forum on www.FreedomYachts.org. I
know that there are a lot of good radio people here and not many on that
forum.

-----------

I have one of these catketches, no shrouds and an overhanging mizzen boom.
In the next two years, I need to install an SSB transceiver antenna. I have
two stainless adjustable backstays with block and tackle at the bottom.
Normally, in their idle mode, they are athwart ships of the mizzen. When in
use, The luff backstay tackle is set on the luff transom corner and
tensioned. I know some people use this backstay as an antenna.

What I want to know is if someone has experience with positioning the balun
at the TOP of the backstay and feeding the coax cable from the top of the
mast down to below decks. Normally, the balun is at the bottom end of the
antenna and the coax is fed in from there. This is not possible (or at
least practical) with a backstay that is moved around at the bottom end. As
far as my limited knowledge goes, the coax has to be included in
calculating the required antenna length.

----------

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats.electronics

You would probably have to install the ATU at the top of the mast as well,
and the voltage maximum would likely be at the deck level, and this might be
interesting for those leaning against the backstay?

Regards

Bob
GM4CAQ

Simply Blue Too
Clyde

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:42:32 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

[...]

Hi Geoff,

What is the purpose of the balun in the installations you described?
Both the coax and the antenna are typically unbalanced and a balun is
not required. Is the device an unun to transform impedances?

Chuck
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Chuck wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I'm not a radio person and am simply repeating the question. If you'd
like to ask directly, please go to

http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10132

You'll have to register to reply, but that's quick.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

wrote:

[...]

Baluns are almost never used in a marine SSB installation. Their
primary use is for center fed horizontal dipole antennas which is
quite uncommon on boats.

Your friends best bet for an unstayed rig is to install a 23 ft whip
on the stern and feed it with an antenna coupler working against a
good ground system.

backstay tensioner the_bmac Cruising 7 October 25th 07 11:41 PM
Can I hoist someone up my backstay? [email protected] Cruising 34 May 3rd 05 01:05 AM
OCF dipole with balun as marine antenna [email protected] Electronics 2 February 17th 05 07:11 AM
top-fed SSB backstay antenna?? Gordon Wedman Electronics 131 February 7th 05 07:32 PM
Backstay tension The_navigator© ASA 66 December 1st 03 01:50 AM