John Smith

Default Battery Water??

"NYangel" wrote in message
distilled water can be obtain, by freezing water in the home freezer and
then defrost it........the water obtained is distilled water..........from

chemistry major

I think what you mean is to thaw out the frost that builds up in a home
freezer. That has arrived as water vaper and so should be mineral free. The
disadvantage of these modern 'frost free' freezers is that you lose this
'by-product'
regards
Peter

Louis Bernard wrote in message
In addition to drug stores and grocery stores, another source according

some
boaters here is water from your home dehumidifier. Someone may comment

on
this
source of non mineralized water.

Larry W4CSC

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:11:59 GMT, "NYangel"
wrote:

distilled water can be obtain, by freezing water in the home freezer and
then defrost it........the water obtained is distilled water..........from a
chemistry major

Man, stay away from THAT college!.....hee hee.

That's nonsense, even without the degree!

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.
Keith

What a crock! (from a degreed chemist)

--

Keith
__
"NYangel" wrote in message
distilled water can be obtain, by freezing water in the home freezer and
then defrost it........the water obtained is distilled water..........from

chemistry major

Louis Bernard wrote in message
In addition to drug stores and grocery stores, another source according

some
boaters here is water from your home dehumidifier. Someone may comment

on
this
source of non mineralized water.

Capt Lou

I cannot believe that all you people only use distill water in your batteries!
Come on and tell me the truth! You are all kidding right? Never used tap water
in your battery? I do, and my batteries last as long as anyone else's!

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
(Capt Lou) wrote:

I cannot believe that all you people only use distill water in your batteries!
Come on and tell me the truth! You are all kidding right? Never used tap water
in your battery? I do, and my batteries last as long as anyone else's!

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.

It really depends on the amount of dissolved minerals in your tap water.
some places have dissolved Iron and copper salts in their water which
will kill a battery faster than crap thru a goose. some of the natural
Calcium sdalts will do the same. With Distilled Water, this is never a
problem. I suspect most folks don't even know what is in thier tap
water if anything.

Bruce in alaska

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Dennis Pogson" wrote:

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article
,
"NYangel" wrote:

distilled water can be obtain, by freezing water in the home freezer and
then defrost it........the water obtained is distilled

water..........from a
chemistry major

snipped

I think he really meant ice scraped off the refrigerator icebox sides! Is
this not "distilled water"?

--
Remove "nospam" from return address.

Nope, read what he actually said.

"distilled water can be obtain, by freezing water in the home freezer"

That Is exactly what he said, and it is WRONG on it's face. Any other
Implications are only in the mind of the reader. Nothing in his post
implies that he was suggesting scraping frost from the freezer sides or
anything else. I agree, that should he have actually made such a
suggestion, I would not have jumped on his case, and I also pointed out
that rainwater comes fairly close to "Distilled Water" as far as Battery
Uses are concerened. Real Distilled water is the Recommended Replacement
by all OEM Mfg's that I have ever seen.

Bruce in alaska
phil

I guess if you consider "freezing" an adjective instead of a verb, then it
would make sense. But, most of us didn't read it like that.

"NYangel" wrote:

distilled water can be obtain, by freezing water in the home freezer and
then defrost it........the water obtained is distilled

water..........from a
chemistry major

Louis Bernard wrote in message
In addition to drug stores and grocery stores, another source

according to
some
boaters here is water from your home dehumidifier. Someone may comment

on
this
source of non mineralized water.

Bzzzzzt WRONG, Would you like to try again behind, Door Number Two.
Distilled Water is just what it say's "Distilled". That means it was
made by heating it up to vapor phase, and then recondensing it back to
liquid phase. This causes all the minerals and other impurities that
boil at higher temps to be left in the heating container and only pure
H2O condensing in the receiver. Freezing will only suspend the
impurities in the Ice Crystaline Structure, and they then will remix
with the H2O when thawed out. You better get your money back from the
college your attending, as you didn't learn anything in InOrganic
Chemistry 101.

Bruce in alaska

who actually did finsh 4 years of NitroOrganic Chemistry 30 years ago

Steve

I get all my Battery Water from Alascom (Longlines Carrier for alaska)
and they have a Triple Distiller at Lena Pt. that supplies all their
Battery Plants in Southeastern Alaska. Rain water is fairly close and
can be used in a pinch, as loing as your not downwind of a Oil or Coal
fired PowerPlant.

Wolf

Try Wal-Mart I buy the stuff there.

Wolf
"Steve" wrote in message
I'm ready to do some battery maintenance and realize I should have

available
several gallons of distilled water for my battery bank. I have been
monitoring them and so far, over the last year, the electrolyte levels

have
not yet dropped to a level of concern. However, I am doing more

equalization
charging now and expect that will cause the level to drop some.

I have four L-16 Trojans (~800 AH total) and they hold a lot of liquid..

I expected I could just go to the Market and find a shelf of distilled

water
(for steam irons).. All I found was shelf after shelf of water designated

as
'drinking water'.

I really don't think 'drinking water' would be good for batteries since it
is generally just filtered and the minerals will still remain in harmful
quantities.

Am I wrong?? In fact, if I don't find TRUE 'distilled' water, I'm willing

test some common bottled 'drinking water' by boiling a pan dry just to see
how much crap is left.

One place I haven't tried yet, is the auto parts stores, but I'm not too
sure they have personnel who will know what I'm looking for (guys who
couldn't get a job at West Moron).

So, where is everyone getting their battery water??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Joe Wood

Well, you know, I tried that. Went around to NTB (a large tire and
battery warehouse around here). They sell and service nothing but no-
maintenance batteries. No distilled water around.

Joe Wood

Meindert Sprang wrote:
And nobody has come up with the obvious source of distilled water: where do
you go when your car battery needs a water refill........right!

Meindert

Water systems on my boat - need suggestions, please. Adam Cruising 14 May 11th 04 04:56 PM
Fresh Water Tank Lou Cragin Cruising 6 December 8th 03 08:23 AM
Hot Water Dispenser Conor Crowley Cruising 11 October 28th 03 07:42 PM
alternator charging to high? Richard Malcolm Electronics 8 August 20th 03 10:57 AM