Leanne

Default Laptops and 12 volts.

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
"Josh Assing" wrote in message
My laptop uses 18 volts... Right now; i use an inverter to go to 110,

then use
hte laptops power supply to return to 18.

Seems like if I could just go 12vdc to 18vdc it'd be more effecient.

Thoughts?

And if so; any clues on where I can find info on building something like

this?

So far, no one has come up with a fully-comprehensive but cheap solution to
this problem. If the volts are right, the amperage is too low, it's like
trying to get a quart out of a pint pot (sorry about the non-metric
terminology). Any more ideas?

--
Remove "nospam" from return address.

Leanne

Sorry about the previous post as I had a cockpit error here. Personally, I went
to Wal-Mart and got a 350 W inverter for less than $50. You would have to weigh
that against what a DC-DC inverter would cost. I have two laptops of which one
has a DC mobile cord, but the output is not heavy enough amperage wise to power
the new one.

Leanne
S/V Fundy

"Leanne" wrote in message

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
"Josh Assing" wrote in message
My laptop uses 18 volts... Right now; i use an inverter to go to 110,

then use
hte laptops power supply to return to 18.

Seems like if I could just go 12vdc to 18vdc it'd be more effecient.

Thoughts?

And if so; any clues on where I can find info on building something like

this?

So far, no one has come up with a fully-comprehensive but cheap solution to
this problem. If the volts are right, the amperage is too low, it's like
trying to get a quart out of a pint pot (sorry about the non-metric
terminology). Any more ideas?

--
Remove "nospam" from return address.

F330 GT

So far, no one has come up with a fully-comprehensive but cheap solution to
this problem. If the volts are right, the amperage is too low, it's like
trying to get a quart out of a pint pot (sorry about the non-metric
terminology). Any more ideas?

--
Remove "nospam" from return address.

Go to Ebay and search "Laptop power adapter" and you'll find plenty of them.
Most are the same one listed for many different computers. They go for anywhere
from $15 to $29.

I got one for $16 and it works fine on my laptop plugged into a cigarette
lighter. They're universal and you set the voltage to match your laptop power
supply.

Barry

Jerry

I have an IBM t20 and I use a 12v to 19v adapter on the boat rather than my
300 watt inverter. It makes no noise like the fan on the inverter and seems
more efficient. I got mine from a guy on ebay. He makes them for all types
of laptops. Search for IBM cables and when you find one contact him for
specifics on your computer. Mine cost less than $40.

Jerry