David Oswald

Default Radar for a 27' sloop

I'm considering adding radar to my Catalina 27 TR. But I just can't see
spending thousands. What is the least expensive system I can get into that
is still worth having?

I've already got a good GPS and depth sonar system, so I'm not looking for
chartplotting, just a visual image of what's out there in the haze.

--
DJO

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 02:16:37 -0700, "David Oswald"
wrote:

I'm considering adding radar to my Catalina 27 TR. But I just can't see
spending thousands. What is the least expensive system I can get into that
is still worth having?

The Furuno 1620 definitely meets that threshold. Its display can be
mounted out in the weather, so you can see it while steering, a real
plus in my experience. Secondly, its radome is quite light, which is
good.

I do not know from personal experience that the JRC does not meet your
threshold. It is even less expensive than the 1620 and looks small
enough so it shouldn't be heavy.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"That idiot Leibniz, who wants to teach me about the infinitesimally small! Has he therefore forgotten that I am the wife of Frederick I? How can he imagine that I am unacquainted with my own husband?"
ONE

Take the Furuno you will hate the guy who will sell you the JRC its a real
piece of junk. You need a radar when it rains and the jrc just don't work in
rain. all you get is a black screen.