Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Peter Bennett

Default Fuse in alternator wiring??

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 08:03:21 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

I'm preparing to install a 100 amp alternator and AutoMac II charge
controller on my boat. I read over the controller installation instructions
and couldn't find any mention or requirement for fuse in the output lead, to
the battery switch.

I seem to remember that fuse is a recommend (or required) in this type of
installation.

I picked up a 100 amp fuse and holder. However, I got to thinking, if this
fuse blows, then I wipe out my alternator, just the same as if I opened the
battery switch while the engine is running.

While such a fuse is probably desirable, its use is quite rare. If
you do want to install that fuse, you should add a "Zap-Stop" zener
diode across the alternator output. This device will prevent the
alternator output voltage from rising excessively if the fuse blows.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI