Derek Rowell

Default Fuse in alternator wiring??

I just went through this alternator rewiring thing this week. I originally
wired the alternator directly to the battery (with a 100 amp fuse), but then
I thought about the fact that the alternator line would always be "hot",
with no way of disconnecting it without removing the battery cable. Could
cause problems while working around the engine. So, I moved the connection
to the other side of the disconnect switch so that its possible to remove
the voltage. I put in a zap-stop in case of careless disconnect. I'm
still debating in my mind what is the correct thing to do....

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm preparing to install a 100 amp alternator and AutoMac II charge
controller on my boat. I read over the controller installation

instructions
and couldn't find any mention or requirement for fuse in the output lead,

the battery switch.

I seem to remember that fuse is a recommend (or required) in this type of
installation.

I picked up a 100 amp fuse and holder. However, I got to thinking, if this
fuse blows, then I wipe out my alternator, just the same as if I opened

the
battery switch while the engine is running.

The OEM wiring on my Volvo MD2B doesn't have a fuse or fuseable link in

the
alternator output lead. This lead goes directly to the starter cable
terminal.

Thoughts or suggestions??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions