posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default AIS Configuration

Just subscribed to the group, so hope this is not a recent subject.
Can someone describe to me the wiring of an AIS receiver to a PC
navigation system? I am using Maptech Chart Navigator Pro. From what I
can find, I need a serial port to connect the AIS receiver. Already
using my one serial port for NEMA 0183 traffic between Northstar 941D
GPS, the PC/CNP, and the Simrad AP20 autopilot.Thanks

Pete
posted to rec.boats.electronics

wrote in news:10ndl4l5aq9s5mv984cr9hoi73ci8kfeqp@
4ax.com:

Just subscribed to the group, so hope this is not a recent subject.
Can someone describe to me the wiring of an AIS receiver to a PC
navigation system? I am using Maptech Chart Navigator Pro. From what I
can find, I need a serial port to connect the AIS receiver. Already
using my one serial port for NEMA 0183 traffic between Northstar 941D
GPS, the PC/CNP, and the Simrad AP20 autopilot.Thanks

Pete

Buy one of these:
http://www.usbgear.com/USB-PRODUCT-D...2&catid=&cats=
It uses the Prolific chipset others have liked...me too.

It also uses standard Microsoft drivers so should auto-connect.

Do NOT buy a USB-Serial converter built into a plug as the weight of the
serial plug and socket will ruin your USB connector in the
computer/laptop because it's just too heavy with too much mechanical
advantage. Only get a cable to take the strain off the USB socket.

At the bottom of the webpage is instructions in small type how to switch
COM ports to this adapter. It's not rocket science. Your AIS receiver
needs 38,400 baud...8N1 serial port configuration, which the device
should sync to automatically with this chipset.

Pick a separate COM port from your NMEA com port connection. The NMEA
port is running 4800 Baud. AIS is much faster at 38,400 baud. They
must be separately connected to the computer. This cable/converter
self-powers from the USB port on the computer. No other connections are
necessary.

Too bad ALL the boats aren't transmitting AIS by now, but I don't think
the commercial interests want to see all that traffic.

Larry wrote:
[...]

Just hooked up my AIS receiver today and played with it a couple of
hours.
Trust me! You don't want ALL boats transmitting AIS!
I had 2 tugs tied up in the west end of the harbor. I had an Alaskan
fisherman a few piers over. I had a tug assisting an anchor oiler
getting ready to leave. I had 2 pilot boats. I had a ferry. I had 3 big
guys transiting outside the harbor.
Now all this was fun to watch but throw in another ****load of
sportfishers and it would be chaos.
Gordon
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Pete,

Welcome to our newsgroup. As you will find out, some of the guys know an
awful lot about technical electronics and will help you get info about many
different options for your set up.

I have a set up like yours and I got a Brookhouse multiplexer which takes
all the NMEA data and streams it to the computer and to all of the gear
including the Simrad auto pilot. I made my system so that all parts work
independently by themselves and then talk to each other when the multiplexer
is turned on.

Check it out at Brookhouse NMEA Multiplexer with optional Seatalk-NMEA
bridge + USB.

Cheers

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Gordon wrote in
m:

Just hooked up my AIS receiver today and played with it a couple of
hours.
Trust me! You don't want ALL boats transmitting AIS!
I had 2 tugs tied up in the west end of the harbor. I had an

Alaskan
fisherman a few piers over. I had a tug assisting an anchor oiler
getting ready to leave. I had 2 pilot boats. I had a ferry. I had 3

big
guys transiting outside the harbor.
Now all this was fun to watch but throw in another ****load of
sportfishers and it would be chaos.
Gordon

Yeah, but you don't HAVE to have it on the 20 mile range in a boat going
10 knots. In reality, you only need to see the boats on the 3 mile
range, the ones you're crashing into in the fog. I never figured out
why a sailboat has an 8 mile radar....(c; He needs to see that bouy
he's about to run over. Now the government bureaucrats need to get off
their asses and install the FIXED STATION broadcasting all the bouys and
known obstructions a few times an hour so you KNOW that blip is bouy
"3b", not a fisherman.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Larry wrote:
Gordon wrote in
m:

[...]

Of course, the way AIS works, one fixed station on land nice and high up
like one of the CG aerials could 'paint' the position of *all* nav.
marks within line of sight on-screen on every AIS connected plotter
within range. Need to mark a new obstruction? No problem, tag it with a
virtual mark till you can get a work boat out to lay a buoy.

Will it happen? Not while the pork is going elsewhere . . .
posted to rec.boats.electronics

IanM wrote in news:gj8sus$19ag$1
@energise.enta.net:

Will it happen? Not while the pork is going elsewhere . . .

The pork here goes into a long line of replacement main gates. God CG is
proud of that slot to the street. The just replaced it, AGAIN, not long
ago. It's probably another $500K in next years budget.

odd helm configuration Jim General 76 June 8th 08 03:41 AM
Carolina Skiff Configuration Vic Smith General 0 November 9th 06 11:54 PM
Split seat configuration in aluminum boats smarsh General 0 September 12th 05 05:08 AM
Split seat configuration in aluminum boats smarsh General 0 September 12th 05 05:06 AM