posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Gordon is offline

Default AIS Configuration

Larry wrote:
wrote in news:10ndl4l5aq9s5mv984cr9hoi73ci8kfeqp@
4ax.com:

Just subscribed to the group, so hope this is not a recent subject.
Can someone describe to me the wiring of an AIS receiver to a PC
navigation system? I am using Maptech Chart Navigator Pro. From what I
can find, I need a serial port to connect the AIS receiver. Already
using my one serial port for NEMA 0183 traffic between Northstar 941D
GPS, the PC/CNP, and the Simrad AP20 autopilot.Thanks

Pete

Buy one of these:
http://www.usbgear.com/USB-PRODUCT-D...2&catid=&cats=
It uses the Prolific chipset others have liked...me too.

It also uses standard Microsoft drivers so should auto-connect.

Do NOT buy a USB-Serial converter built into a plug as the weight of the
serial plug and socket will ruin your USB connector in the
computer/laptop because it's just too heavy with too much mechanical
advantage. Only get a cable to take the strain off the USB socket.

At the bottom of the webpage is instructions in small type how to switch
COM ports to this adapter. It's not rocket science. Your AIS receiver
needs 38,400 baud...8N1 serial port configuration, which the device
should sync to automatically with this chipset.

Pick a separate COM port from your NMEA com port connection. The NMEA
port is running 4800 Baud. AIS is much faster at 38,400 baud. They
must be separately connected to the computer. This cable/converter
self-powers from the USB port on the computer. No other connections are
necessary.

Too bad ALL the boats aren't transmitting AIS by now, but I don't think
the commercial interests want to see all that traffic.

Just hooked up my AIS receiver today and played with it a couple of
hours.
Trust me! You don't want ALL boats transmitting AIS!
I had 2 tugs tied up in the west end of the harbor. I had an Alaskan
fisherman a few piers over. I had a tug assisting an anchor oiler
getting ready to leave. I had 2 pilot boats. I had a ferry. I had 3 big
guys transiting outside the harbor.
Now all this was fun to watch but throw in another ****load of
sportfishers and it would be chaos.
Gordon