posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default TV antenna

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,
Larryr wrote:
Hi, A year ago, I bought a LCD TV which tunes analog and digital
channels. I first tried to use the VHF masthead whip as an antenna
with poor results, same with rabbit ears. I made a horizontal wire
loop out of a bucket lid and a twin lead to coax transformer to hang
in the rig. I noticed that when swinging at anchor, the motion of the
boat caused the digital channels to freeze or glitch with pixelation
and audio squawks. I would then switch to the analog channel and put
up with the inferior quality.

Realizing that the time was rapidly approaching when I would not be
able to continue viewing by going analog, I decided to buy an
amplified antenna to hang in the rig. I chose a winegard ms2000 omni
which has a fairly large 21 inch saucer, a 3 watt power injector, was
supposed to come with 50' of RG 6. It arrived and I installed it. It
came with RG 59 and cheap F connectors, so I didn't use that. I flew
it and the reception was not quite as good as my home made passive
loop. I changed out coax, unplugged the power injector, and
determined that the cable was good and the amp was functioning.

So, I am very dissatisfied with this unit's performance. I am looking
for suggestions as to how to improve my drop out situation while
swinging on the hook. It should be omni directional, i think. I
understand that digital's phase sensitivity to movement is much
greater than analog. Any Ideas? Not interested in servo gyro type
stuff.

I never tried swinging an antenna ! I bought a RCA omni some time ago and
it has a amplifier, but the selection switch on the control makes no
difference in high/low band reception. I suspect something faulty.
Well Tandy used to sell the best little antenna that had a motorized
dipole type system inside a thin round case. That was NOT sold at Radio Shack
that I know of. JC Whitney had them, but its long gone. The best system
would be a home made one with amplification and directionality of
some sort, either phasing or motorization.

greg

I guess you could also rotate one of those sticks with a rotator.
greg

Check this out..

http://www.sat-sales.com/proddetail....enna_WA_260 8
posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article

,
Larryr wrote:
[...]

I see an updated round rotated device I was describing.
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...?prod=HDMS9100

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article

,
Larryr wrote:
[...]

and the orginal discontinued one
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=5MS9000
posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article

Check this out..

http://www.sat-sales.com/proddetail....enna_WA_260 8

I see an updated round rotated device I was describing.
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...?prod=HDMS9100

and the orginal discontinued one
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=5MS9000

I'm getting a headache fishing through owners. Somehow Antennacraft,
Tandy, and Circuit City, and Woolworths are all the same. A name is nothing
to be proud of anymore.

greg
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Hi Greg, thanks for the link, but swinging at anchor, I do not want a
directional antenna if I can avoid it. That is why I chose an omni -
though it is not an improvement over the passive homemade omni that I
had been using.

In article , Larryr wrote:
Hi Greg, thanks for the link, but swinging at anchor, I do not want a
directional antenna if I can avoid it. That is why I chose an omni -
though it is not an improvement over the passive homemade omni that I
had been using.

I would think a dipole poiting at the station would provide the best swing
range. I don't know the directional characteristics of a yagi
or other types. I guess the data is available.
With that motorized unit, it is basically a dipole as far as I know, but I
also can't say for sure. Rotating a stick antenna is obviously
going to be like a dipole.

greg

FS ICOM AH-4 Auto Antenna Tuner with Long Wire Antenna Kit... [email protected] Cruising 1 March 29th 08 03:27 AM
FS ICOM AH-4 Auto Antenna Tuner with Long Wire Antenna Kit [email protected] Electronics 0 March 29th 08 01:26 AM
FS ICOM AH-4 Auto Antenna Tuner with Long Wire Antenna Kit [email protected] General 0 March 29th 08 01:26 AM
SSB Antenna Jerry Peters Electronics 4 August 10th 04 04:04 AM
SSB antenna Roger Cruising 38 April 26th 04 02:17 AM