Default Skippy's turned into a real lubber

I once sailed down the Hudson on the sloop "Clearwater" shortly after
joining their advisory board. The captain, mate, and crew were all women.
I was the only man on board. I have seldom, if ever, seen a large and
difficult to manage vessel (70 foot boom) handled so well.

In my long association with many sail training groups, it was almost
universally acknowledged, often reluctantly by some fairly macho males, that
women make better sailors both at the entry level and as they rise to
command. Good example is Maine's Linda Greenlaw of "Perfect Storm" fame.
She was the most successful captain in the most challenging fishery on the
east coast. Fishing is different than sailing but many of the same
priniciples apply.

There is an aspect of sailing that plays directly to the strenght of the way
the female mind tends to approach life (whether you believe this is hard
wired or socialized in). The sailing vessel has no power source of its
own. It is made to move only by changing it's own configuration and subtly
influencing the environment around it; not by exerting power to overcome its
environment.
--
Roger Long

There are two theories on how to communicate with women. Neither work.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

Can I quote you?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Gordon" wrote in message
m...

There are two theories on how to communicate with women. Neither work.

Accurate, but *they* seem to communicate with each other just fine. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:13:09 -0600, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:47:22 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

I think you'll find the real challenge will be when you have a mix of men
and women. The women tend to be less likely to volunteer, and the men tend
to either want to take over or be condescending or have a lack of
patience.

Finding the right chemistry with a mixed crew can certainly be
challenging but it's great when it all comes together. Three of the
best crew on my old Cal-34 were women, all very good in their own way
but quite diffferent. One was an operating room nurse who was so
highly organized that it was unbelievable. She liked to work the
"pit" and was always one step ahead of what needed to be done in a
complex mark rounding. Another was an aspiring movie producer who
stood about 5' 1'' but tough as nails and totally fearless. She
worked the foredeck better than all but the very best guys, even on 50
footers. The third was an artist who we taught almost from scratch.
She paid meticulous atttention to detail, kept a note book and learned
*very* quickly. Being gorgeous didn't hurt either. Some of the
guys were very skeptical in the beginning but they learned quickly
also. :-)

Good grief. Sounds like you need to stop obsessing over Penthouse Letters.

Wilbur Hubbard

Not like you will ever have a chance to find out, Wee Willie.

JG and Wayne are exactly right on target.

The only thing they didn't say is that the women judge you pretty
accurately.

If you yell and bluster they won't respect you in the morning.
(or sail with you again)

But stay calm, talk rationally, you'll have an amazing crew.

And they do cooperate better than men.

The mixed crews I've taught so far haven't been anywhere near as good.
Men, in groups, worry more about the pecking order than getting the job
done. Or poke their heads up their butts and keep them there.
Pure Ego.

Kinda like Wilbur, ya know?

There was a guy here that specialized in chartering his boat to women
only, to race in the King's Cup Regatta. We passed him one day - boat
full of women; nobody shouting, just people going about their
business. Seemed like a good idea..... Whether he was bragging, or
not, but he did say that after the daily regatta party some of the
ladies became quite friendly :-)

Probably pretty heavy lifting for little Willie......
Cheers,

Bruce
(bpaige125atgmaildotcom)