Default Skippy's turned into a real lubber

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote

Has NO (snip) female crew members ...

Now, that part of the whole rant I can easily believe

--
Roger Long

Roger Long wrote:
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote

Has NO (snip) female crew members ...

Now, that part of the whole rant I can easily believe

--
Roger Long

I'm finding out that the whole idea of "all female crew" is a bit
"different".

I've been working with the local ASA school to get my instructor
certification.

So I often find myself on a Catalina 310 with six women, or a J22
with three.

I'm not complaining, mind you.

But it's different.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
m...
Roger Long wrote:
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote

Has NO (snip) female crew members ...

Now, that part of the whole rant I can easily believe

--
Roger Long

I'm finding out that the whole idea of "all female crew" is a bit
"different".

I've been working with the local ASA school to get my instructor
certification.

So I often find myself on a Catalina 310 with six women, or a J22
with three.

I'm not complaining, mind you.

But it's different.

Yep, it's different. Enjoyable... they think about and do things quite a bit
differently. I had three women students last season on a J-24 in the bay.
They were by far the best students, even though they had the same level of
experience. They worked together better, especially during COB drills. They
trusted each other more than male students, and they used their brains
rather than just their muscles to get things done. I would much rather teach
women. There may be competition aspects between boats, but there's no place
for it on the same boat, and I've had male students get into that all too
often.

I think you'll find the real challenge will be when you have a mix of men
and women. The women tend to be less likely to volunteer, and the men tend
to either want to take over or be condescending or have a lack of patience.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:47:22 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

I think you'll find the real challenge will be when you have a mix of men
and women. The women tend to be less likely to volunteer, and the men tend
to either want to take over or be condescending or have a lack of patience.

Finding the right chemistry with a mixed crew can certainly be
challenging but it's great when it all comes together. Three of the
best crew on my old Cal-34 were women, all very good in their own way
but quite diffferent. One was an operating room nurse who was so
highly organized that it was unbelievable. She liked to work the
"pit" and was always one step ahead of what needed to be done in a
complex mark rounding. Another was an aspiring movie producer who
stood about 5' 1'' but tough as nails and totally fearless. She
worked the foredeck better than all but the very best guys, even on 50
footers. The third was an artist who we taught almost from scratch.
She paid meticulous atttention to detail, kept a note book and learned
*very* quickly. Being gorgeous didn't hurt either. Some of the
guys were very skeptical in the beginning but they learned quickly
also. :-)

wrote:

[...]

Good grief. Sounds like you need to stop obsessing over Penthouse Letters.

Wilbur Hubbard

On 2008-11-11 15:57:24 -0500, "Roger Long" said:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote

Has NO (snip) female crew members ...

Now, that part of the whole rant I can easily believe

You're more persistent than me. I missed that in my scan.

I gotta say that having my "girl" on the boat makes life lots more fun.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-11-11 17:39:04 -0500, cavelamb himself said:

So I often find myself on a Catalina 310 with six women, or a J22 with three.

I'm not complaining, mind you.

But it's different.

Oh, quit bragging....

;-)

--
Jere Lull

wrote:

[...]

Not like you will ever have a chance to find out, Wee Willie.

JG and Wayne are exactly right on target.

The only thing they didn't say is that the women judge you pretty
accurately.

If you yell and bluster they won't respect you in the morning.
(or sail with you again)

But stay calm, talk rationally, you'll have an amazing crew.

And they do cooperate better than men.

The mixed crews I've taught so far haven't been anywhere near as good.
Men, in groups, worry more about the pecking order than getting the job
done. Or poke their heads up their butts and keep them there.
Pure Ego.

Kinda like Wilbur, ya know?

--

Richard

On 2008-11-11 15:57:24 -0500, "Roger Long" said:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote

Has NO (snip) female crew members ...

Now, that part of the whole rant I can easily believe

You're more persistent than me. I missed that in my scan.

I gotta say that having my "girl" on the boat makes life lots more fun.

--
Jere Lull

Damn right.

--