Default Vendee Globe: Around the world, alone, without any assistance...start sunday nov 9th 11h 02 UT

Hi all!

"On November 9th 2008, at 13 h 02 French time (11 h 02 UT) 30 navigators
will set sails aboard their 60'monohulls, heading towards the three
great capes, marking the southern tips of the African continent,
Australia and America. The Vendée Globe will start, for the 6th time,
from the harbour of Les Sables d’Olonne, where it was born. And as far
as the rest of the story is concerned… well, it’s up to the sailors
themselves now."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/

6 nations are represented
1 american: Rich Wilson with Great American III
http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/editio...ch-wilson.html
http://www.greatamerican3.com/

Enjoy...

Regards.
Michel.

Michel Pineau wrote:
Hi all!

"On November 9th 2008, at 13 h 02 French time (11 h 02 UT) 30 navigators
will set sails aboard their 60'monohulls, heading towards the three
great capes, marking the southern tips of the African continent,
Australia and America. The Vendée Globe will start, for the 6th time,
from the harbour of Les Sables d’Olonne, where it was born. And as far
as the rest of the story is concerned… well, it’s up to the sailors
themselves now."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/

6 nations are represented
1 american: Rich Wilson with Great American III
http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/editio...ch-wilson.html
http://www.greatamerican3.com/

Two women this year, both British. No doubt Neal will belittle them....

Cheers
Martin

Marty wrote:
Michel Pineau wrote:
Hi all!

"On November 9th 2008, at 13 h 02 French time (11 h 02 UT) 30
navigators will set sails aboard their 60'monohulls, heading towards
the three great capes, marking the southern tips of the African
continent, Australia and America. The Vendée Globe will start, for the
6th time, from the harbour of Les Sables d’Olonne, where it was born.
And as far as the rest of the story is concerned… well, it’s up to the
sailors themselves now."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/

6 nations are represented
1 american: Rich Wilson with Great American III
http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/editio...ch-wilson.html
http://www.greatamerican3.com/

Two women this year, both British. No doubt Neal will belittle them....

Cheers
Martin

Didn't hear? Neal entered his C27. He agreed to leave a little later
as a handicap!

"Marty" wrote in message
Michel Pineau wrote:
Hi all!

"On November 9th 2008, at 13 h 02 French time (11 h 02 UT) 30 navigators
will set sails aboard their 60'monohulls, heading towards the three great
capes, marking the southern tips of the African continent, Australia and
America. The Vendée Globe will start, for the 6th time, from the harbour
of Les Sables d’Olonne, where it was born. And as far as the rest of the
story is concerned… well, it’s up to the sailors themselves now."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/

6 nations are represented
1 american: Rich Wilson with Great American III
http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/editio...ch-wilson.html
http://www.greatamerican3.com/

Two women this year, both British. No doubt Neal will belittle them....

At least Dee Caffari looks like a woman. As a matter of fact, she's hot. I'd
have little trouble cheering her on. And her boat is the right color! But
sadly, Samantha Davies looks like your typical British bulldog dyke. Big
chin and noticeable Adam's apple. Too much testosterone there.

Too bad neither one of them is a serious contender. My prediction is Dee
(she can't be tough-she's too feminine!) will be a DNF and Samantha will
have a tight grip on second or third to last place.

But, I'm amazed. Did Mike Golding get resurrected from the dead? Wasn't he
lost at sea when the keel fell of his boat in mid-Atlantic several years ago
during a trial?

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

At least Dee Caffari looks like a woman. As a matter of fact, she's hot. I'd
have little trouble cheering her on. And her boat is the right color!

From her profile:

"For this successful sportswoman, a former sailing monitor and physical
education instructor, who did the London Marathon in 7 hours and 23
minutes,"

7 and a half hours to run a marathon? Does she have legs? I'd hardly
boast about that in the profile space.

"slide" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

At least Dee Caffari looks like a woman. As a matter of fact, she's hot.
I'd have little trouble cheering her on. And her boat is the right color!

From her profile:

"For this successful sportswoman, a former sailing monitor and physical
education instructor, who did the London Marathon in 7 hours and 23
minutes,"

7 and a half hours to run a marathon? Does she have legs? I'd hardly boast
about that in the profile space.

I think I could get too drunk to walk and CRAWL 26 miles in less time than
that.

Wilbur Hubbard

But, I'm amazed. Did Mike Golding get resurrected from the dead?
Must have signed with the devil!

Wasn't he
lost at sea when the keel fell of his boat in mid-Atlantic several years ago
during a trial?

Apparently not : "Watch out! Here’s the favourite! The former
professional fireman is certainly a fearsome opponent for all the others
in this Vendée Globe, in which he will be sailing for the third time.
Seventh in 2001 and third in 2005 after achieving the feat of sailing
his boat home to Les Sables d’Olonne after she lost her keel, the
Englishman could well be getting the better over his “froggy” rivals..."

Michel.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote :

But, I'm amazed. Did Mike Golding get resurrected from the dead? Wasn't he
lost at sea when the keel fell of his boat in mid-Atlantic several years ago
during a trial?

I've checked the story: in 2004 Mike Golding lost his keel, 50 miles
away from the arrival of the "Vendee" Globe".
His naval architect told him it was ok to sail his boat without
capsizing provided he would'nt keel over more than 30 degrees!

And he did it!!!! and finished this world race at the third place!!!

Later on, he towed his boat - still without any keel - From Les Sables
d'Olonne up to southern England: about 250 nm.

A picture of Mike's keel :
http://nam.over-blog.com/article-211802.html

http://fr.mikegolding.com/

--