Default R/V Rachel Carson

On 2008-10-30 19:41:44 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

We went down the New Jersey coast in Wednesday's snotty weather. We were
close in but going straight into the swells with the wind and waves abeam.
This morning we bucked straight into 15 - 20 up Deleware Bay. Both times,
the delivery captain who has been on a lot of boats said, "I can't believe
we're keeping up 18 - 20 knots in this stuff and are this comfortable."
That made me fell pretty good, let me tell you.

Delaware's got a real bad rep in those conditions. Congrats.

Yup, you built a boat that may well *grin* at anything the Bay can
throw its way.

--
Jere Lull

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:28:07 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

I had a
view of that marina from my office window for many years and used to
go down there at lunch time on nice days. They have their own little
fuel barge that brings diesel in from somewhere.

In Halifax someone has a small tanker, and they fill up at a refinery
and deliver heavy oil to the big ships at anchor, and #2 Diesel and
gasoline to the marinas.

Casady

"Roger Long" wrote:
We went down the New Jersey coast in Wednesday's snotty weather. *We were
close in but going straight into the swells with the wind and waves abeam..
This morning we bucked straight into 15 - 20 up Deleware Bay. *Both times,
the delivery captain who has been on a lot of boats said, "I can't believe
we're keeping up 18 - 20 knots in this stuff and are this comfortable."
That made me fell pretty good, let me tell you.

Sounds like you accomplished some pretty difficult design goals.
Congratulations, it must feel great!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Brian Whatcott wrote in
:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:28:07 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

Hope you got to enjoy the ride down the Hudson River. In good weather
it is one of the hidden gems of the east coast. ..

Such a pretty view down the river from West Point.
And watch out for the chain when it's o stop the British Navy
raiding.

Brian W

I've ridden the AMTRAC train down the Hudson River canyon...about 3' off
the water, it looked like! I'd come from Syracuse and they split the
train in Albany, sending half of it to NYC and the other half to Boston
in just a few minutes. All the "house batteries" failed to keep the
cars lit while the engine (charger) was disconnected and an electric
engine replaced the diesel beasts. Amtrac needs new house batteries on
every car in the fleet.

Just before we came to West Point, the dining car had last call for
breakfast and I had hauled myself out of my cozy stateroom sleeper after
a nice shave/shower in fresh clothes. I sat with a variety of travelers
and we stayed in the dining car, now that the rush was over, lingering
for over an hour drinking railroad coffee, helping them finish up the
last of the pastries they kept delivering and watched West Point go by
in the morning sun. What a great trip down the Hudson it is by train!
If you ever get to go, please do so.

Stuffed to the limit with leftovers and leaving our porter a big tip for
such a great time, we all retired to the lounge to enjoy the underground
before going our separate ways at Grand Central Station in the middle of
the Manhattan human body disposal plant. There were bodies sleeping on
the floor everywhere in tattered clothes ruining the trip.

New York made up for it, though. It took me 12 days to get from GCS to
Penn Station to continue the trip to Charleston! They shouldn't put
train stations anywhere near that many electronics and camera stores!

Rachel Carson trip update Roger Long Cruising 27 October 28th 08 01:11 AM
Rachel Carson SPOT link Roger Long Cruising 31 October 25th 08 12:36 AM
Johnny Carson dies Tuuuk General 0 January 24th 05 11:08 PM
Good-bye Johnny Carson! Scout ASA 0 January 24th 05 10:34 AM