Default Delivery trip

I fly out tomorrow (Monday Oct 21) for the nearly 1000 mile delivery trip in
the new research vessel.

Wheatly, Ontario Canada
Lake Erie
Welland Canal
Lake Ontario
Oswego Canal
Erie Canal
Hudson River
Delaware Bay
Delaware Canal
Annapolis, MD
Solomons, MD

I wouldn't normally sign on for such a long trip as passenger/crew but, when
you've designed the boat, it's a different experience.

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/RVRCpixvid.htm

--
Roger Long

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 07:22:31 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I fly out tomorrow (Monday Oct 21) for the nearly 1000 mile delivery trip in
the new research vessel.

Wheatly, Ontario Canada
Lake Erie
Welland Canal
Lake Ontario
Oswego Canal
Erie Canal
Hudson River
Delaware Bay
Delaware Canal
Annapolis, MD
Solomons, MD

I wouldn't normally sign on for such a long trip as passenger/crew but, when
you've designed the boat, it's a different experience.

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/RVRCpixvid.htm

Have a good trip. Are you taking along your SPOT device ?

The Hudson River should be nice this time of year. Bring warm
clothing for Lake Erie and Lake Ontario - colder than coastal Maine
believe it or not. Upstate NY is usually cold and breezy also,
sometimes snows in late October.

You'll be passing through Fulton, my old home town on the Oswego
Canal. We used to stand on the bridge and watch the boats lock through
on the way home from school. There was still a lot of commercial
traffic in the 1950s.

wrote:

[...]

Coldest place on the planet has to be Buffalo or at least feel like the
coldest....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:15:09 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Coldest place on the planet has to be Buffalo or at least feel like the
coldest....

Buffalo is cold but it is almost tropical compared to some other
places in upstate NY. I've seen 41 below on one occasion and there
are regions where it goes below zero every night for weeks at a time.
At 41 below the grease was so thick in my car's transmission that it
wanted to take off and go ahead in neutral.

My old home town gets over 200 inches of snow every year. Last
January they got over 100 inches in 10 days. The city of Oswego, 10
miles north at the northern end of the Oswego Canal, is directly on
Lake Ontario. The winter north westerlies are so strong there that
it piles up ice along the shore 30 to 40 feet high at times. It
looks like the artic when that happens.

wrote:

Coldest place on the planet has to be Buffalo or at least feel like the
coldest....

Buffalo is cold but it is almost tropical compared to some other
places in upstate NY. I've seen 41 below on one occasion and there
are regions where it goes below zero every night for weeks at a time.
At 41 below the grease was so thick in my car's transmission that it
wanted to take off and go ahead in neutral.

My old home town gets over 200 inches of snow every year. Last
January they got over 100 inches in 10 days. The city of Oswego, 10
miles north at the northern end of the Oswego Canal, is directly on
Lake Ontario. The winter north westerlies are so strong there that
it piles up ice along the shore 30 to 40 feet high at times. It
looks like the artic when that happens.

I wondered why there were so many Oswego tourists in Buffalo in
mid-February!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:

Coldest place on the planet has to be Buffalo or at least feel like the
coldest....

Buffalo is cold but it is almost tropical compared to some other
places in upstate NY. I've seen 41 below on one occasion and there
are regions where it goes below zero every night for weeks at a time.
At 41 below the grease was so thick in my car's transmission that it
wanted to take off and go ahead in neutral.

My old home town gets over 200 inches of snow every year. Last
January they got over 100 inches in 10 days. The city of Oswego, 10
miles north at the northern end of the Oswego Canal, is directly on
Lake Ontario. The winter north westerlies are so strong there that
it piles up ice along the shore 30 to 40 feet high at times. It
looks like the artic when that happens.

Figures you moved to Florida.
We had about 90 inches in Chicago one year - '78-'79 - and it was a
constant battle getting to work. Shoveling all the time.
Hard to imagine all that snow every winter.
But a paradise for those who love winter sports I guess.
When I was kid living near the lake I saw that arctic-like ice piled
up like that once. We somehow had the sense not to venture too
far. It was like being on a glacier, with crevasses and high
overhangs. Must have been an oddity of real cold weather and
easterlies that caused it.

--Vic

Capt. JG wrote:

Coldest place on the planet has to be Buffalo or at least feel like the
coldest....

Try Winnipeg. Imagine taking Chicago and moving it into a deep
freeze,,,wind, cold, snow.....you get the idea...

Cheers
Martin

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I fly out tomorrow (Monday Oct 21) for the nearly 1000 mile delivery trip
in the new research vessel.

Wheatly, Ontario Canada
Lake Erie
Welland Canal
Lake Ontario
Oswego Canal
Erie Canal
Hudson River
Delaware Bay
Delaware Canal
Annapolis, MD
Solomons, MD

I wouldn't normally sign on for such a long trip as passenger/crew but,
when you've designed the boat, it's a different experience.

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/RVRCpixvid.htm

--
Roger Long

Geeze...if you wanted to test the boat, why not travel east on the St.
Lawrence, pass thorogh the Canso Causeway and then south west along the Nova
Scotia coast, across the Gulf of Maine and then to it's home port?

wrote:

[...]

Yup...no country for girliemen!

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:33:08 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

Yup...no country for girliemen!

Hey, it's just adaptation, not sex-change.
Ever see "The White Dawn"?
Whenever I think about going too far north I remember that movie and
make other plans.

--Vic