Doug Vaughan

Default Easy meals for a delivery trip

Well, we have completed the delivery. Thanks for all of the input. To
refresh
some memories, a crew of 8 was delivering a 50+' boat with stove, oven,
microwave
and refrigeration from LA to SF. No one was assigned the task of being
cook. I was
asked to provision. I did not receive a budget but was expected to be
reasonable.
Two days before departure, we purchased some basic cooking gear such as tea
pot,
a couple of pots and a pan, pyrex measuring cup (boiling water in micro) and
pyrex
pan for nuking veggies, a french press and a couple of pump thermos': one
for hot
water and one for coffee. We also went with paper plates, plastic &
styrofoam cups
and plastic utensils. Plus we got some basic cleaning supplies: dish soap,
sponge
dish towels, paper towels, etc. The one thing we forgot was a small dust
pan and
hand broom. The day before departure, we made a trip to Sears and got a
basic
set of tools (approx. $400). Then, we shopped for non-perishables. This
included
granola, four cases of bottled water, Gatorade, diet coke, salt & pepper,
olive oil, bread,
crackers, cookies, cup of noodles, turkey jerky, mixed nuts, Clif bars,
coffee, tea, apples,
oranges, pears, etc. Finally on the day of departure, we picked up some
frozen food from
Trader Joes and Costco. This included Ravioli which was a big hit, mixed
frozen vegetables
and tamales, mandarin chicken and mixed rice.

The first day went pretty smoothly. We had one shared meal; otherwise,
everyone
pretty much fended for themselves. One problem was that no one knew exactly
where
all of the goodies had been stored in the galley. Late into the second day,
things got
rough. The entire coast from Point Arguello to San Francisco was blowing
15-20 on
the nose with heavy seas. No one felt like doing anything in the galley.
Only a couple
of people still had an appetite. Consequently, a lot of the food went
uneaten. So, IF
there is a next time, I would have more finger food and individual servings
and less
perishable food. Simple things like Gatorade in small individual size
bottles. (It was
difficult just to go below and try and pour juice from a jug into a cup.)
Things that did
get eaten: cookies, Clif bars, turkey jerky, apples, pears, granola, Miso
soup, mixed
nuts, cheese & crackers, peanut butter & jelly. Lots and lots of 500ml
bottles of water
were consumed along with some Gatorade and coke.

This was not your typical cruise. It was a delivery. We completed the trip
in about 62
hours with no stops. It was short enough where no one starved. As you can
see, we
did not have gourmet meals. However, everyone was able to find something to
eat if
they wanted.