Doug Vaughan

Default Easy meals on a delivery crise

Anyone have any good ideas for easy meals on a delivery cruise?
The boat is brand new which means no utensils. However, it is
a really nice boat with refrigeration, stove and microwave.
I was thinking TV dinners. What are your favorites?
What are good snacks for at sea?

Da Kine

Cruise? Is the boat yours or are you doing a delivery with the owner on
board (i.e. cheap charter:-)?

My wife makes most meals before a long offshore passage because we have
hit big seas that have put us on a major diet for days on end on
account of that you can't cook in 25-foot seas!

We do chicken sandwiches and other types of sandwiches, Lasagna
sometimes because you can heat it up easily in an oven. Spaghetti,
believe it or not, is pretty easy to make in mild seas. Danish if you
are only going to be out of touch for a short while. Cereal is OK on
calmer days. Lots of fruit is good.

Citrus fruits can be washed in a very diluted beach water (if you can
smell it, there is too much bleach) rapped in aluminum foil and kept
good for months. We had lemons that we bought in San Diego that were
still good when we got to the Panama Canal 4 months later!

Crackers and chips are good snacks but you need to work off the fat
later. Pop Tarts are a life saver when the seas get over 15 feet and
sloppy.

Eggs stay fresh if you eggs that have never been refrigerated. When you
go to buy eggs in most 3rd world locals, you will find that you buy
them one at a time and transport them in an inflated plastic bag.
Camping places have hard shell plastic cases that hold 6 - 12 eggs.
Those are the best transports we've found and rarely have a broken
egg even in the roughest dingy launchings. You might want to buy a
dozen or so of the cases. We found that people in the small towns love
them and love you for the little gifts from the outside world.

Drink mix is a must. Boat water sucks. We bring lemonade ice tea and
Gatorade mix. We also bring powered milk and the type of milk that you
don't need to refrigerate.

What you need to take or do with it depends on where you are sailing
and how long you need to be offshore. Most of the time you can find
everything you need along the way. Most small towns in small nations
have one big day for produce. If you show up and buy out the supplies
of the town you will not be smiled at much so go to town and ask when
that day is. If you find a shop owner you can tell them your needs and
they will order what you want. If you don't tell them, you won't
get what you want and you will end up taking the food from the many
people that were depending on it being there.

matthew silver

My kids like cruising - one of the ways they describe it is sailing
restaurant to restaurant (club to club). Then the cooler only needs to
keep lunch type food and snacks.
The economics of this plan has enabled us to resist upsizing the boat

Some of the places we like to stay have a good bbq.
About half of the places we go have a good grocery / shopping area in easy
walking distance from the harbour, so we can provision on daily basis.
Utensils and such - we have a picnic set - they can be Wal-Mart basic or
scaled up to what ever turns your fancy. Paper plates and plastic utensils
are another option.

Snack food while at sea - chips, dip, cheese, crackers, sliced meats, rolls
.... pretty much what you would eat at home, but keep in mind that on a boat
stuff seems to have a tendency to spill more frequently, so deep dish
serving plates with non skid place mats are a good idea.

Is this a 'just get it done' trip, or a full blown celebration voyage ?
Just a few guys moving a boat or a wife and family or a 'babe' cruise ?
The culinary choices could be significantly different.

Subs (aka heros) are always good - cold or hot. We've heated them in the
oven (propane).

It is a composite of your palet, desire and ability to tidy up, and and
aversion to food accidents.

The total distance, and leg lengths, and area of your delivery cuise, are
not mentioned, so there are some unknowns here. Also, if you are asking
these types of questions, I suspect your 'sea legs stomach' are not fully
develped or experienced yet, so depending on the weather, the ride of the
boat among other things, sea sickness cannot be excluded. We always pack
plenty of Gravol - and have gone some years with out using any - but not
every year.

Hope this has helped, best wishes on your initial voyage.

Matt

"Doug Vaughan" wrote in message
. net...
Anyone have any good ideas for easy meals on a delivery cruise?
The boat is brand new which means no utensils. However, it is
a really nice boat with refrigeration, stove and microwave.
I was thinking TV dinners. What are your favorites?
What are good snacks for at sea?

BrianH

Doug Vaughan wrote:
Anyone have any good ideas for easy meals on a delivery cruise?
The boat is brand new which means no utensils. However, it is
a really nice boat with refrigeration, stove and microwave.
I was thinking TV dinners. What are your favorites?
What are good snacks for at sea?

No utensils? Then buy a set of nested camping pots to take
with you; cheap and compact. Problem solved and more healthy
than TV dinners full of chemical 'preservative', 'taste
enhancer', 'coloring', etc., etc..
HTH.
News f2s

"Da Kine" wrote in message

~Agree with your excellent advice.

Cereal is OK on calmer days.

Corn flakes and popcorn are good entertainment on windy days!
JimB

Dennis Pogson

Doug Vaughan wrote:
Anyone have any good ideas for easy meals on a delivery cruise?
The boat is brand new which means no utensils. However, it is
a really nice boat with refrigeration, stove and microwave.
I was thinking TV dinners. What are your favorites?
What are good snacks for at sea?

Whole roast fresh/frozen chicken, eaten Henry VIII style with fingers. Goes
down a treat. Use plenty of paper napkins.

Dennis.

Jim,

Doug Vaughan wrote:
Anyone have any good ideas for easy meals on a delivery cruise?
The boat is brand new which means no utensils. However, it is
a really nice boat with refrigeration, stove and microwave.
I was thinking TV dinners. What are your favorites?
What are good snacks for at sea?

Check these -- don't even need the microwave, and ample food for a nice meal

http://www.heatermeals.com/
Gordon

MRE's

"Doug Vaughan" wrote in message
om...
A little more info. This is a no-nonsense delivery of
a 50 foot sailboat. There will be about six of us and
we hope to cover about 350 miles in around four days.
The owner is not on board. However, he is picking up
all of the expenses. Thanks for the ideas so far.

"Doug Vaughan" wrote in message
. net...
Anyone have any good ideas for easy meals on a delivery cruise?
The boat is brand new which means no utensils. However, it is
a really nice boat with refrigeration, stove and microwave.
I was thinking TV dinners. What are your favorites?
What are good snacks for at sea?

MMC

Six guys + TV dinners x four days= make sure you have a good life jacket and
wear it at all times! If there are women in the crew, you won't even get
untied before the mutiny.
Were it me, I'd let the owner know his bill will include messing kit, and
make a realistic provisioning run. I'd also establish what the daily expense
limit is with the owner.
MMC

Doug Vaughan wrote:
Anyone have any good ideas for easy meals on a delivery cruise?
The boat is brand new which means no utensils. However, it is
a really nice boat with refrigeration, stove and microwave.
I was thinking TV dinners. What are your favorites?
What are good snacks for at sea?

They say that porridge tastes just the same when thrown up as when
swallowed.

DP