sciman

Default Silverton vs Carver

I am trying to narrow down my search for a boat with the primary use as a
place to stay at a local lake for weekends, etc. Maybe in a 5 to 10 years
take the boat to the ICW. Right now I am looking at the Silverton 39 and
the Carver 396. New or nearly new (2001 and up). Both aft cabin cruisers
which is very desirable for our way of living.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

John

"sciman" wrote in message ink.net...
I am trying to narrow down my search for a boat with the primary use as a
place to stay at a local lake for weekends, etc. Maybe in a 5 to 10 years
take the boat to the ICW. Right now I am looking at the Silverton 39 and
the Carver 396. New or nearly new (2001 and up). Both aft cabin cruisers
which is very desirable for our way of living.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

Carver's the better boat.

Coff

"sciman" wrote in message ink.net...
I am trying to narrow down my search for a boat with the primary use as a
place to stay at a local lake for weekends, etc. Maybe in a 5 to 10 years
take the boat to the ICW. Right now I am looking at the Silverton 39 and
the Carver 396. New or nearly new (2001 and up). Both aft cabin cruisers
which is very desirable for our way of living.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

I currently own a Carver. I spent a fair amount of time comparing
both manufacturers at the Chicago Boat Show this January. I have to
admit that I was more impressed with the Silverton than the Carver. I
just felt like the Silverton was a more boater-freindly craft. The
ergonomics, mechanical access, and style of the Silvertons seemed to
be a degree or so higher than on the Carvers. I can't say that I saw
a big difference from a quality standpoint. They are both
good-to-better production-built boats.

They are both nice boats and will provide good service and excellent
value. Go with whichever one fits your style. We should all have to
make such stressful choices!

Coff

Gould 0738

Neither boat is automatically a bad choice.

It's a bit like debating between rump roast or sirloin steak. Not ground beef,
not a filet mignon, but either are likely to prove very satisfying (for the
proper application).

I had a chance to try out a Silverton 34 convertible earlier this spring. I was
so pleasantly surprised that my opinion of Silverton (which wasn't bad to begin
with)
has certainly improved as a result. If I were shopping for a boat in that
category, Silverton would be among the contenders.