Gould 0738

Default Silverton vs Carver

Personally, I think it's more like the choice between Burger King and
McDonalds.

That said, I've seen some older Silvertons that seem to have held up
reasonably well over the years. Looking at 20 year old used boats can
tell you a lot about how well they were made.

In which case you should, personally, avoid both.

Silverton still benefits, slightly, from the influences of the Luhrs family.
The Luhrs brothers that started the company were 3rd or 4th generation
shipwrights. Silverton dates back to the late 60's or early 70's. Luhrs was one
of the very first large scale builders to convert to fiberglass, and the
family's Sea Skiff brand of fishing boats
achieved almost legendary status a generation ago.

Not surprising that you'd find some older Silvertons holding up rather well.

It's easy to dismiss any mass-pro boat in this category as unlikely to be
stoutly built. The 34 I tested was not an offshore passagemaker, but would
serve well for most boaters doing local cruises in inland or semi-sheltered
coastal waters. IOW, the majority of real life users.

But to each his own. If there were only one kind or brand of boat that was
always clearly superior for all applications, we'd all own the same boat. And
we don't.

Wayne.B

On 29 Apr 2004 07:10:19 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

In which case you should, personally, avoid both.

I do, always been fond of Wendy :-)

Brian Whatcott

This conversation is unworthy of the NG.
My view
Brian W

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:30:44 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On 30 Apr 2004 06:30:11 -0700, (Coff) wrote:

Save your cash, and someday you, too, can afford the value meal.
Right now, I'm betting you can't.

You'd lose that one.