D Wrate

Default Vang sizing

Looking to assemble a vang for Cindino, our Hughes 25. Does anyone have a
method of calculating working loads that might be expected/generated by a
main of 145 sq ft.sail area?

When I look at the various pre-assembled vangs out there they are basically
3 sizes; small, medium and large. The large looks fit to cross an ocean, and
the medium would still be the beefiest hardware on the boat but I am not
sure if the small is big enough.

Any suggestions?

David

S/V Cindino

Gogarty

In article , dwrate@interbaundotcom
says...

Looking to assemble a vang for Cindino, our Hughes 25. Does anyone have a
method of calculating working loads that might be expected/generated by a
main of 145 sq ft.sail area?

When I look at the various pre-assembled vangs out there they are basically
3 sizes; small, medium and large. The large looks fit to cross an ocean, and
the medium would still be the beefiest hardware on the boat but I am not
sure if the small is big enough.

Any suggestions?

On a 25-footer? Small is plenty big enough. We had a Dawson 26 (25'9") on
which we installed a small rope and block vang. Woked just fine. Now we have a
37-footer that came with a rope and block vang. We replaced it with a solid
vang. Huge difference. It's a matter of how much leverage you want to be able
to pull down the boom. I think the solid vang has about double the purchase of
the rope vang.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:15:48 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

We replaced it with a solid
vang. Huge difference. It's a matter of how much leverage you want to be able
to pull down the boom. I think the solid vang has about double the purchase of
the rope vang.

With a solid vang you can also get rid of the main topping lift since
the boom is supported by the internal spring in the vang. Less chafe
on the mainsail, less windage, and one less thing to adjust.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

[...]

The rope vang can have as much purchase as you want to give it. The
value of the strut is it eliminates the topping lift, saving a lot of
wear on the sail.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you

Alternator Belt Sizing Wayne.B General 6 July 23rd 04 04:48 PM
Alternator Belt Sizing Wayne.B Boat Building 6 July 23rd 04 04:48 PM
boat trailer winch sizing RB General 4 May 10th 04 11:21 PM
Vang sizing D Wrate Boat Building 3 April 22nd 04 04:46 AM
Wet exhaust sizing. David Flew Boat Building 16 November 16th 03 04:00 AM