Default Wake up Skip

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
I think Skippy hasn't a clue how fast the weather changes up north. It
will be summer, then there will be a week or two of fall then, BLAM,
winter.

Skippy had better point his bow south and get his fat arse going. He
needs to quit lollygagging around where he is now.

Wilbur Hubbard

It's no country for girliemen, but if you're the least bit rugged, sailing
can be great until the middle of October...and sometimes later.
Lots of wind this time of year.

On Sep 11, 2:37*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
I think Skippy hasn't a clue how fast the weather changes up north.

I remember a long dinghy racing season after school started when I
raced on LIS. I spent a lot of nights on unheated boats (doesn't Skip
have a heater? I don't recall) right up until Thanksgiving as crew on
PHRF boats for weekend races in Sea Cliff and Sheepshead Bay.

It's only a few days run to Annapolis, and the exodus South doesn't
begin until after the boat show (although there is often some whining
about cold nights from the no-socks set).

There are lots of good sailing days left to the season in LIS.

I don't remember what Skip has shared of his plans, but based on what
I do recall about their increased comfort with longer jumps I wouldn't
be surprised if they did the easy jump from Beaufort to the Bahamas.
Who needs Florida anyway? Just stock up on toilet paper, paper towels,
beer, and go. grin

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious

"Don White" wrote

It's no country for girliemen, but if you're the least bit rugged, sailing
can be great until the middle of October...and sometimes later.
Lots of wind this time of year.

Those of you who are in this part of the world and can pick up a "Points
East" can read the story of my long weekend cruise the last weekend of
October a year ago. Anybody remember how it blew? I think I proved that
I'm at least a little bit rugged that weekend simply because I had a hell of
a good time. First time I ever had anyone call the Coast Guard about me.
They told her, "Don't worry, there's nobody out there right now."

The story will appear in the "Last Word" section of the next (October)
issue.

--
Roger Long

Might just be an early winter on the NE coast this year as the
migratory birds/ducks/geese/loons are already starting to show up on
the Chesapeake ... about 2-3 weeks earlier than 'usual'. Must be
colder than normal in the north this year to get all the birds moving
so early.

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:24:14 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"The almanac's 2008 edition, which goes on sale Tuesday, foresees
plenty of snow across the Northeast, temperatures averaging as much as
3 degrees below normal along most of the Atlantic Coast, and four
major frosts as far south as Florida. The Great Lakes region will also
take a pounding."

Wilbur, I bought "Chapman Knotical Chart No. 1" and "Pitoting and
Dead Reckoning" so far to prepare for when I get my Carolina Skiff
2480DX of Mac 26M - haven't decided on which yet.
I have Beauditch on digital media only.
Thinking about ordering "Sailing For Dumbies."
Do you recommend I add "The Old Farter's Almanac" to my list of "must
gets?" Any others? BTW, I don't garden, but am entertaining the idea
of brewing beer on my boat.

--Vic

On 11 Sep 2008 14:49:01 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:13:25 -0700 (PDT), Bob said:

Im dont know a thing about the weather patterns in the NE

That admission might suggest to a reasonable person that this may not be the
best topic for casting your pearls of wisdom.

That's not inhibiting Jeff!

Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 11, 11:49*am, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:13:25 -0700 (PDT), Bob said:

Im dont know a thing about the weather patterns in the NE

That admission might suggest to a reasonable person that this may not be the
best topic for casting your pearls of wisdom.

Dear Dave:

What color lipstic do you prefer...........

Bob

On 2008-09-11 19:26:50 -0400, RichH said:

Might just be an early winter on the NE coast this year as the
migratory birds/ducks/geese/loons are already starting to show up on
the Chesapeake ... about 2-3 weeks earlier than 'usual'. Must be
colder than normal in the north this year to get all the birds moving
so early.

Yup, Momma threw the big switch last week. Was 90+ one day, in the 50s
that night.

--
Jere Lull

WOW, WHAT A WAKE UP! tom ASA 0 April 27th 07 10:28 PM
WAKE UP! Maxprop ASA 10 November 13th 04 09:40 AM
Hey! Wake up! Eisboch General 3 November 12th 04 03:28 AM