pelujilla

Default S.O.S

My Hubby and I are looking to buy our first boat We would like a
19-20 foot boat mostly for the intracoastal but with the capability of
sal****er without capsizing. Our goal is to join other boaters and go
from Jacksonville, Florida to the Bahamas and to Key West. The cabin
need not be too large, maybe a four sleeper.
What should I be looking for, I've read some magazines that say that
the boat should be wide at the hull, but does not say how wide or even
give a model name. We will be at the boat show this weekend soaking up
a lot of information but we are looking for a used boat around 10,000
dollars....is that doable or are we dreaming?
Mark Gardner

First of all, a 19-20 footer and sleeping four adults are mutually exclusive
(unless you sleep on deck or the passengers are very tiny). The next thing
to consider is that the Gulf Stream (which you will be crossing) is a little
unpredictable, seas can come up in squalls pretty quick. My wife and I have
made the crossing in a 23' cuddy and let me tell you, even in 2-3 foot seas
we got beaten about, even at 15kts.
Have you considered a sailboat? There are some pretty good deals on 26 and
27 footers out there (in the price range you mention). The sale boat is
more stable, built for job if you will and way more comfortable. Check
around and see if anyone in your area offers sailing classes, I know there
is a school in St. Augustine but I don't know about Jax. This will give you
a chance to see if sailing is the right choice for you.

Just some thoughts from a guy with experience on both sides.

Oh yeah, no matter which you decide on TAKE A SAFE BOATING CLASS.
om...