Jere Lull

Default S.O.S

In article ,
(pelujilla) wrote:

My Hubby and I are looking to buy our first boat We would like a
19-20 foot boat mostly for the intracoastal but with the capability of
sal****er without capsizing. Our goal is to join other boaters and go
from Jacksonville, Florida to the Bahamas and to Key West. The cabin
need not be too large, maybe a four sleeper.
What should I be looking for, I've read some magazines that say that
the boat should be wide at the hull, but does not say how wide or even
give a model name. We will be at the boat show this weekend soaking up
a lot of information but we are looking for a used boat around 10,000
dollars....is that doable or are we dreaming?

It's eminently do-able. I have no problem planning our $7.5k boat's
crossing to the Bahamas eventually. New, you won't find a suitable boat
under10k in my experience, but new boats lose value quickly.

Cruisenews.net has a report of an, I believe, 18' boat doing the trip
sucessfully. Personally, I feel they had a lot of luck, but the captain
didn't do anything particularly stupid, which can be considered luck.

I'd have no problem taking our old MacGregor 21 (as "lightly built" as
they come) on that trip since many of her sisters have been there and
done that.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: