BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boat winches KNOL (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/96820-boat-winches-knol.html)

Capt. JG August 23rd 08 05:28 PM

Boat winches KNOL

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
In article lutions,
lid says...
"Mark" wrote in message
It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

Why would you want to do this?

America's Cup boats have right and left handed jib winches so the lead
is perfect to the fairlead. My boat has jib winches of the same
handedness and there's chafe on the port side coaming when trimming
smaller jibsfixed by a second fairlead car aft.

Right. No doubt, but 99.999% of boats would not do this. AC boats are
highly
specialized, and there are probably better solutions to chafe than
confusing
other sailors with winches that are non-standard.

Given that many winches allow the pawls to be put in for either right or
left hand rotation what is the "standard"?

My own preference is the the lines to wind on the sheet winch drums from
outboard, keeps them from rubbing on the cockpit combings. Mast winches
are standardized to wind on from forward.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

When you're on the highway, do you drive backward? LOL

I sure hope to hell you tell people who climb on your boat for a sail.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce in Bangkok[_8_] August 24th 08 01:11 AM

Boat winches KNOL

In article lutions,
lid says...
"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

I seldom invite people on board and if I do tell them to keep their
hands off things.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

Capt. JG August 24th 08 01:44 AM

Boat winches KNOL

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Thus, my comment that it's non-standard.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jere Lull August 25th 08 08:57 AM

Boat winches KNOL

On 2008-08-23 03:21:35 -0400, Bruce in Bangkok said:

Given that many winches allow the pawls to be put in for either right or
left hand rotation what is the "standard"?

The line always goes around the winch clockwise. Move the turning block
if you can't clear the coaming doing that. You really don't want one
out of all the winches requiring backwards winding.

On a single-speed, crank clockwise to tighten.

Been too long since I had a multi-speed winch, so I can't comment on
that, but I would expect high-speed clockwise, then alternating
directions for second and third gear.

--
Jere Lull
Xan-ŕ-Deux -- Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Mark September 3rd 08 11:49 PM

Boat winches KNOL

On Aug 23, 5:08*am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:49:01 -0700 (PDT), Mark
wrote:

America's Cup boats have right and left handed jib winches so the lead
is perfect to the fairlead. *My boat has jib winches of the same
handedness and there's chafe on the port side coaming when trimming
smaller jibsfixed by a second fairlead car aft.

I don't think so. *I've sailed on several America's Cup boats, 6 to be
precise, and they all had conventional clockwise turning winches, both
port and starboard. *It would confuse the heck out of the trimmers
otherwise, trying to remember which way to wrap the jib sheet.

"Developed for events like the America's Cup and the Vendee Globe,
Harken racing winches feature carbon fiber and aluminum construction,
titanium gears, and PEEK roller bearings for ultra-lightweight
performance and reliability. This elite racing technology is also
available for smaller budgets - contact Harken® to order aluminum and
stainless steel in place of carbon and titanium. Options include self-
tailing arms, free-spinning or ratcheting base sheave additions, top
cleats, and *left-handed* rotation."

I've only sailed on 3, but they were America's cup class boats, not 12-
Meters. Definitely had left and right handed jib winches, no room on
coaming for a "wrong-handed" winch because of winch diameter and the
fairlead was so close to the winch.