BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boat winches KNOL (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/96820-boat-winches-knol.html)

CAH August 8th 08 08:46 AM

Boat winches KNOL

Hi

I have made a boat winches KNOL - and would like suggestions on how to
improve it.

http://knol.google.com/k/mads-gorm-l...pvu60g9z3k1/2#

I would like more links to articles about how to choose the right
winch - sort some best for the money, best winch, and right size for
the purpose articles.

Hope you have some suggestions.

Cah

Justin C[_13_] August 8th 08 08:29 PM

Boat winches KNOL

In article , CAH wrote:
Hi

I have made a boat winches KNOL - and would like suggestions on how to
improve it.

Write on a subject of which you have some knowledge.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Jere Lull August 8th 08 11:22 PM

Boat winches KNOL

On 2008-08-08 15:29:32 -0400, Justin C said:

In article
,
CAH wrote:

I have made a boat winches KNOL - and would like suggestions on how to
improve it.

Write on a subject of which you have some knowledge.

That's a bit harsher than I'd say it.

Add a link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winch

and possibly some commercial stuff:

Sailboat Winches
or
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/westadvisor/10001/-1/10001/SailboatWinches.htm

or

Harken or other winch manufacturers.

Might be something in SailNet.com or cruisenews.net

You'll do a better service if you don't reinvent the wheel.

--
Jere Lull
Xan-ŕ-Deux -- Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

CAH August 9th 08 09:06 PM

Boat winches KNOL

Might be something in SailNet.com or cruisenews.net

You'll do a better service if you don't reinvent the wheel.

Hi

I have implemented your suggestions - thanks for the help.

Cah

Ryk August 13th 08 08:58 PM

Boat winches KNOL

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 00:46:16 -0700 (PDT), in message

CAH wrote:

Hi

I have made a boat winches KNOL - and would like suggestions on how to
improve it.

http://knol.google.com/k/mads-gorm-l...pvu60g9z3k1/2#

I would like more links to articles about how to choose the right
winch - sort some best for the money, best winch, and right size for
the purpose articles.

Hope you have some suggestions.

It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

CAH August 14th 08 08:25 AM

Boat winches KNOL

CAH wrote:
Hi

I have made a boat winches KNOL - and would like suggestions on how to
improve it.

http://knol.google.com/k/mads-gorm-l...pvu60g9z3k1/2#

I would like more links to articles about how to choose the right
winch - sort some best for the money, best winch, and right size for
the purpose articles.

Hope you have some suggestions.

It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

Is that a one time deal - or can you do this during saling ?

Best
Cah

CAH August 14th 08 09:37 AM

Boat winches KNOL

CAH wrote:
Hi

I have made a boat winches KNOL - and would like suggestions on how to
improve it.

http://knol.google.com/k/mads-gorm-l...pvu60g9z3k1/2#

I would like more links to articles about how to choose the right
winch - sort some best for the money, best winch, and right size for
the purpose articles.

Hope you have some suggestions.

It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

I have implemented your suggestion, and made the article open for
others to change.

Best
Cah

CAH August 14th 08 09:45 AM

Boat winches KNOL

It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

I forgot to thank your for the suggestion Ryk, hope you will take part
in making the kois better.

Cah

Ryk August 15th 08 06:29 PM

Boat winches KNOL

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 00:25:11 -0700 (PDT), in message

CAH wrote:

On 13 Aug., 21:58, Ryk wrote:

It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

Is that a one time deal - or can you do this during saling ?

It involves disassembling the winch and reversing pawls. I would avoid
doing it underway.

Ryk

Capt. JG August 15th 08 07:41 PM

Boat winches KNOL

CAH wrote:

Hi

I have made a boat winches KNOL - and would like suggestions on how to
improve it.

http://knol.google.com/k/mads-gorm-l...pvu60g9z3k1/2#

I would like more links to articles about how to choose the right
winch - sort some best for the money, best winch, and right size for
the purpose articles.

Hope you have some suggestions.

It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

Why would you want to do this?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Ryk August 18th 08 04:16 PM

Boat winches KNOL

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:41:37 -0700, in message
lutions
"Capt. JG" wrote:

"Ryk" wrote in message

It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Why would you want to do this?

I can imagine some special situations where the line feed or
handedness issues might show up. Then again it might just be bad
design that allows the pawls to be inserted in either direction...

Ryk

Capt. JG August 18th 08 06:06 PM

Boat winches KNOL

"Capt. JG" wrote:

"Ryk" wrote in message

It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Why would you want to do this?

I can imagine some special situations where the line feed or
handedness issues might show up. Then again it might just be bad
design that allows the pawls to be inserted in either direction...

Ryk

It would also confuse the hell out just about everyone. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Richard Casady August 18th 08 10:52 PM

Boat winches KNOL

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:16:26 -0400, Ryk
wrote:

Then again it might just be bad
design that allows the pawls to be inserted in either direction...

Why is that bad design? What is the downside to offering the option.
What I think are cool are the two speed winches.

Casady

Capt. JG August 18th 08 11:01 PM

Boat winches KNOL

wrote:

Then again it might just be bad
design that allows the pawls to be inserted in either direction...

Why is that bad design? What is the downside to offering the option.
What I think are cool are the two speed winches.

Casady

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Vic Smith August 18th 08 11:10 PM

Boat winches KNOL

wrote:

Then again it might just be bad
design that allows the pawls to be inserted in either direction...

Why is that bad design? What is the downside to offering the option.
What I think are cool are the two speed winches.

That reminds me. There was a web journal called "Bumfuzzle" where a
young couple bought a 35' cat in Lauderdale and took off around the
world. They had one class in sailing.
Successful circumnavigation, and an entertaining journal.
Anyway, they were halfway across the Pacific before the Skipper found
out he had 2 speeds on his most often used winch.
No wonder it was so hard to crank.
He was mocked by the armchair guys when he wrote about it, but just
got a kick out of that since he was sailing around the world and they
were ......in their armchairs.
I got the impression 2-speed winches are common.
What little winching I've done was with a 1-speed.

--Vic

Capt. JG August 18th 08 11:35 PM

Boat winches KNOL

wrote:

[...]

I have two of them, both self-tailers on my Sabre. They're great. Makes life
much easier.

I also have two, good-size, one-speed winches on port/starboard on the mast
(main and jib halyards), and one small one-speed for my mainsheet.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Richard Casady August 18th 08 11:56 PM

Boat winches KNOL

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:10:59 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

That reminds me. There was a web journal called "Bumfuzzle" where a
young couple bought a 35' cat in Lauderdale and took off around the
world. They had one class in sailing.
Successful circumnavigation, and an entertaining journal.
Anyway, they were halfway across the Pacific before the Skipper found
out he had 2 speeds on his most often used winch.
No wonder it was so hard to crank.
He was mocked by the armchair guys when he wrote about it, but just
got a kick out of that since he was sailing around the world and they
were ......in their armchairs.
I got the impression 2-speed winches are common.
What little winching I've done was with a 1-speed.

There used to be something called a Fol-boat, that folded up into a
package the size of a large suitcase. One guy crossed the Atlantic,
from England to Panama in one. A buck eighty six to go through the
Canal. They used to charge strictly by the ton, no minimum.

Casady

Vic Smith August 19th 08 12:03 AM

Boat winches KNOL

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:56:25 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

There used to be something called a Fol-boat, that folded up into a
package the size of a large suitcase. One guy crossed the Atlantic,
from England to Panama in one. A buck eighty six to go through the
Canal. They used to charge strictly by the ton, no minimum.

I remember the Fol-boats. Advertised in all the "outdoor" mags.
The Alaskan Camper is another unusual/different approach to
something that interested me.
It was a pickup bed camper that had hydraulics to jack it up when
parked, giving more headroom. I resisted buying both.

--Vic

Richard Casady August 19th 08 04:10 AM

Boat winches KNOL

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:01:03 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Capt. JG August 19th 08 05:34 AM

Boat winches KNOL

wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a
winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Nothing, except what 99.999% of all sailors are used to doing.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

cavelamb himself[_4_] August 19th 08 06:20 AM

Boat winches KNOL

wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a
winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Nothing, except what 99.999% of all sailors are used to doing.

On our two-speed wenches it matters quite a lot!

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Richard Casady August 19th 08 01:48 PM

Boat winches KNOL

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:34:13 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a
winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Nothing, except what 99.999% of all sailors are used to doing.

I have a shower in which one valve turns one way and the other the
other. Seems pretty dumb.

Casady

Vic Smith August 19th 08 01:58 PM

Boat winches KNOL

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a
winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Nothing, except what 99.999% of all sailors are used to doing.

I have a shower in which one valve turns one way and the other the
other. Seems pretty dumb.

You want things to tighten clockwise and loosen counterclockwise.
No sense getting "artistic" about these things.
I've seen faucet setups as you describe. Dumb.
Remember those old cars - Chrycos I think - that had left hand threads
on the lugs of some of the wheels? PITA when you first tried to get a
wheel off the "natural" way.

--Vic.

Capt. JG August 19th 08 02:27 PM

Boat winches KNOL

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
m...

wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a
winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Nothing, except what 99.999% of all sailors are used to doing.

On our two-speed wenches it matters quite a lot!

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

I only use one speed wenches now that I'm married. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG August 19th 08 02:29 PM

Boat winches KNOL

wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a
winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Nothing, except what 99.999% of all sailors are used to doing.

I have a shower in which one valve turns one way and the other the
other. Seems pretty dumb.

Casady

Me too! I get really confused sometimes, but it might be Alzheimer's. :)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG August 19th 08 02:31 PM

Boat winches KNOL

wrote:

[...]

Righty tighty, lefty loosey. The golden rule (one of them).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Mark August 23rd 08 04:49 AM

Boat winches KNOL

It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

Why would you want to do this?

America's Cup boats have right and left handed jib winches so the lead
is perfect to the fairlead. My boat has jib winches of the same
handedness and there's chafe on the port side coaming when trimming
smaller jibsfixed by a second fairlead car aft.

Capt. JG August 23rd 08 07:19 AM

Boat winches KNOL

"Mark" wrote in message
It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

Why would you want to do this?

America's Cup boats have right and left handed jib winches so the lead
is perfect to the fairlead. My boat has jib winches of the same
handedness and there's chafe on the port side coaming when trimming
smaller jibsfixed by a second fairlead car aft.

Right. No doubt, but 99.999% of boats would not do this. AC boats are highly
specialized, and there are probably better solutions to chafe than confusing
other sailors with winches that are non-standard.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce in Bangkok[_8_] August 23rd 08 08:21 AM

Boat winches KNOL

In article lutions,
lid says...
"Mark" wrote in message
It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

Why would you want to do this?

America's Cup boats have right and left handed jib winches so the lead
is perfect to the fairlead. My boat has jib winches of the same
handedness and there's chafe on the port side coaming when trimming
smaller jibsfixed by a second fairlead car aft.

Right. No doubt, but 99.999% of boats would not do this. AC boats are highly
specialized, and there are probably better solutions to chafe than confusing
other sailors with winches that are non-standard.

Given that many winches allow the pawls to be put in for either right or
left hand rotation what is the "standard"?

My own preference is the the lines to wind on the sheet winch drums from
outboard, keeps them from rubbing on the cockpit combings. Mast winches
are standardized to wind on from forward.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

Wayne.B August 23rd 08 01:08 PM

Boat winches KNOL

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:49:01 -0700 (PDT), Mark
wrote:

America's Cup boats have right and left handed jib winches so the lead
is perfect to the fairlead. My boat has jib winches of the same
handedness and there's chafe on the port side coaming when trimming
smaller jibsfixed by a second fairlead car aft.

I don't think so. I've sailed on several America's Cup boats, 6 to be
precise, and they all had conventional clockwise turning winches, both
port and starboard. It would confuse the heck out of the trimmers
otherwise, trying to remember which way to wrap the jib sheet.

Capt. JG August 23rd 08 05:28 PM

Boat winches KNOL

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
In article lutions,
lid says...
"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

When you're on the highway, do you drive backward? LOL

I sure hope to hell you tell people who climb on your boat for a sail.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce in Bangkok[_8_] August 24th 08 01:11 AM

Boat winches KNOL

In article lutions,
lid says...
"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

I seldom invite people on board and if I do tell them to keep their
hands off things.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

Capt. JG August 24th 08 01:44 AM

Boat winches KNOL

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Thus, my comment that it's non-standard.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jere Lull August 25th 08 08:57 AM

Boat winches KNOL

On 2008-08-23 03:21:35 -0400, Bruce in Bangkok said:

Given that many winches allow the pawls to be put in for either right or
left hand rotation what is the "standard"?

The line always goes around the winch clockwise. Move the turning block
if you can't clear the coaming doing that. You really don't want one
out of all the winches requiring backwards winding.

On a single-speed, crank clockwise to tighten.

Been too long since I had a multi-speed winch, so I can't comment on
that, but I would expect high-speed clockwise, then alternating
directions for second and third gear.

Mark September 3rd 08 11:49 PM

Boat winches KNOL

wrote:

America's Cup boats have right and left handed jib winches so the lead
is perfect to the fairlead. *My boat has jib winches of the same
handedness and there's chafe on the port side coaming when trimming
smaller jibsfixed by a second fairlead car aft.

I don't think so. *I've sailed on several America's Cup boats, 6 to be
precise, and they all had conventional clockwise turning winches, both
port and starboard. *It would confuse the heck out of the trimmers
otherwise, trying to remember which way to wrap the jib sheet.

"Developed for events like the America's Cup and the Vendee Globe,
Harken racing winches feature carbon fiber and aluminum construction,
titanium gears, and PEEK roller bearings for ultra-lightweight
performance and reliability. This elite racing technology is also
available for smaller budgets - contact Harken® to order aluminum and
stainless steel in place of carbon and titanium. Options include self-
tailing arms, free-spinning or ratcheting base sheave additions, top
cleats, and *left-handed* rotation."

I've only sailed on 3, but they were America's cup class boats, not 12-
Meters. Definitely had left and right handed jib winches, no room on
coaming for a "wrong-handed" winch because of winch diameter and the
fairlead was so close to the winch.