BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boat winches KNOL (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/96820-boat-winches-knol.html)

cavelamb himself[_4_] August 19th 08 06:20 AM

Boat winches KNOL

Capt. JG wrote:
"Richard Casady" wrote in message

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:01:03 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a
winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Nothing, except what 99.999% of all sailors are used to doing.

On our two-speed wenches it matters quite a lot!

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Richard Casady August 19th 08 01:48 PM

Boat winches KNOL

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:34:13 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a
winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Nothing, except what 99.999% of all sailors are used to doing.

I have a shower in which one valve turns one way and the other the
other. Seems pretty dumb.

Casady

Vic Smith August 19th 08 01:58 PM

Boat winches KNOL

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a
winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Nothing, except what 99.999% of all sailors are used to doing.

I have a shower in which one valve turns one way and the other the
other. Seems pretty dumb.

You want things to tighten clockwise and loosen counterclockwise.
No sense getting "artistic" about these things.
I've seen faucet setups as you describe. Dumb.
Remember those old cars - Chrycos I think - that had left hand threads
on the lugs of some of the wheels? PITA when you first tried to get a
wheel off the "natural" way.

--Vic.

Capt. JG August 19th 08 02:27 PM

Boat winches KNOL

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
m...

wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a
winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Nothing, except what 99.999% of all sailors are used to doing.

On our two-speed wenches it matters quite a lot!

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

I only use one speed wenches now that I'm married. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG August 19th 08 02:29 PM

Boat winches KNOL

wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a
winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Nothing, except what 99.999% of all sailors are used to doing.

I have a shower in which one valve turns one way and the other the
other. Seems pretty dumb.

Casady

Me too! I get really confused sometimes, but it might be Alzheimer's. :)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG August 19th 08 02:31 PM

Boat winches KNOL

wrote:

[...]

Righty tighty, lefty loosey. The golden rule (one of them).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Mark August 23rd 08 04:49 AM

Boat winches KNOL

It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

Why would you want to do this?

America's Cup boats have right and left handed jib winches so the lead
is perfect to the fairlead. My boat has jib winches of the same
handedness and there's chafe on the port side coaming when trimming
smaller jibsfixed by a second fairlead car aft.

Capt. JG August 23rd 08 07:19 AM

Boat winches KNOL

"Mark" wrote in message
It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

Why would you want to do this?

America's Cup boats have right and left handed jib winches so the lead
is perfect to the fairlead. My boat has jib winches of the same
handedness and there's chafe on the port side coaming when trimming
smaller jibsfixed by a second fairlead car aft.

Right. No doubt, but 99.999% of boats would not do this. AC boats are highly
specialized, and there are probably better solutions to chafe than confusing
other sailors with winches that are non-standard.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce in Bangkok[_8_] August 23rd 08 08:21 AM

Boat winches KNOL

In article lutions,
lid says...
"Mark" wrote in message
It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

Why would you want to do this?

America's Cup boats have right and left handed jib winches so the lead
is perfect to the fairlead. My boat has jib winches of the same
handedness and there's chafe on the port side coaming when trimming
smaller jibsfixed by a second fairlead car aft.

Right. No doubt, but 99.999% of boats would not do this. AC boats are highly
specialized, and there are probably better solutions to chafe than confusing
other sailors with winches that are non-standard.

Given that many winches allow the pawls to be put in for either right or
left hand rotation what is the "standard"?

My own preference is the the lines to wind on the sheet winch drums from
outboard, keeps them from rubbing on the cockpit combings. Mast winches
are standardized to wind on from forward.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

Wayne.B August 23rd 08 01:08 PM

Boat winches KNOL

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:49:01 -0700 (PDT), Mark
wrote:

America's Cup boats have right and left handed jib winches so the lead
is perfect to the fairlead. My boat has jib winches of the same
handedness and there's chafe on the port side coaming when trimming
smaller jibsfixed by a second fairlead car aft.

I don't think so. I've sailed on several America's Cup boats, 6 to be
precise, and they all had conventional clockwise turning winches, both
port and starboard. It would confuse the heck out of the trimmers
otherwise, trying to remember which way to wrap the jib sheet.