Default Canadian holding tank supply

Peggie Hall wrote:

Now is an especially good time to buy from US suppliers too...'cuz the
rate of exchange is the lowest it's been since I can remember.

When I moved to Montreal in about '76 the Candian dollar was worth more
than the US buck. By the time I came back about 6 months later, it had
flipflopped. Guess I pretty much ruined their economy while I was there.

Jim.

TB

I checked the ronco site and they have a tank the size I need but they
do not appear to have the option of a top discharge, that is with an
internal pipe from a top fitting to the bottom of the tank. I don't like
the idea of a bottom discharge.

Peggie Hall wrote:

TB wrote:

Anyone know of a supplier of good holding tanks prefferably in the
Toronto area. I just deliberated over which tank to purchase from the
website if Sherlon plastics in Cambridge only to find that they no
longer supply them. HMP Toronto have them in their catalogue but non
are suitable.

Ronco Plastics (http://www.ronco-plastics.com) in California is your
best source...and since you're close to the border, I suggest you rent a
Mailboxes Etc (or one of the many similar businesses) address in the
closest location to you on the US side of the border--not just for the
tank, but for everything else you'd order from US marine suppliers. You
could even share it with friends and take turns coming over to pick up
shipments.

It's not illegal as long as you declare it when you cross back into
Canada and pay any duty (doubtful there'd be any)...those "mailboxes"
are very inexpensive, having stuff sent to one will save you a fortune
in UPS "international" shipping charges and "customs brokerage fees." In
the unlikely event there would be any duty, you'd have to pay that
whether it's shipped to a Canadian address or you bring it over...so
there's no gain or loss there.

Now is an especially good time to buy from US suppliers too...'cuz the
rate of exchange is the lowest it's been since I can remember.

TB

The local supplier said that it it is to expensive to make the moulds,
they must use a different tecnique. it is possible that they could
modify one of the ronco ones though.

Matt Koch wrote:

Another option is too find a local Plastics manufacturer and have one made
to measure. Its' not as expensive as you may think and you get to specify
material, wall thickness and he location of the fittings.

I did a 35 gallon tank, about 5 years agi in Montreal for about the price of
what it would have cost to order a similar tank from West maring complete
with a "fitting relocation kit".

We used 3/8th polyethylene to build the tank. I simply faxed them a fairly
crude drawing of what I wanted.

Let me know if you need more info.

Matt

--
Peggie
----------

Rod McInnis

"TB" wrote in message ...
I checked the ronco site and they have a tank the size I need but they
do not appear to have the option of a top discharge, that is with an
internal pipe from a top fitting to the bottom of the tank. I don't like
the idea of a bottom discharge.

I bought a 110 gallon water tank from Ronco last year, a very pleasant
experience, actually!

The tanks are fabricated with no fittings on them at all, they will add them
to whatever your specifications are. Their website indicates that they can
accommodate up to a 3" threaded fitting so I would expect that making a dip
tube wouldn't be a problem.

My suggestion is to contact Ronco and ask them. They were very responsive
when I dealt with them last year.

Rod McInnis

Peggie Hall

TB wrote:
I checked the ronco site and they have a tank the size I need but they
do not appear to have the option of a top discharge, that is with an
internal pipe from a top fitting to the bottom of the tank. I don't like
the idea of a bottom discharge.

They'll install any fittings you specify, in any location you specify,
including a discharge on the top with a pickup tube inside to the bottom.

If the tank is going in a sailboat, I recommend that you put ALL the
fittings ON the top, with both the vent and the inlet from the toilet
away from the hull, toward the centerline of the boat. That will prevent
waste in the tank from flowing into the vent line and the head discharge
hose when you're heeled, no matter which tack you're on.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Marc

Be careful about the Ronco dip tubes. The fitting is a 1.5" PVC
threaded adapter with a 1.25" schedule 80 dip tube which has been
rabittted and glued together. Sealand makes a diptube which can be
installed in any tank with a full 1.5" bore.